Hysterectomy after RNY. Your experience.

Strjen
on 9/15/13 2:40 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

So I've come to the long, hard & emotional decision to have a hysterectomy as I have fibroid tumors that are causing me a lot of pain & heavy heavy bleeding. My husband had a vasectomy almost 12 years ago so us having more children is not happening & I'm tired of the pain & having to change my super plus tampon & pad every 15 minutes the first 5 days of my period is awful. I have tried the cervical cups & bleed through those in an hour or two. Sorry for all the TMI, just explaining what I'm going through. They have me on Tramadol which does not work very well for me. Just curious what some of your experiences are with hysterectomy after RNY or before RNY & if there is anything that you have gone through that I might should be aware of.

I should note that I've had a PE in the past so I am not able to do any hormone treatments & I do not want to have an IUD inserted. I could go with the endometrial ablation, but I run the risk of it not working & I just want to be done with this & have one less thing to worry about. I've talked with those that have had the ablation done & some say they never had a period again & some that the lining grew back & it was just as bad as before.

My deductible is met for the year since I had hernia repair surgery back in January & I'm wanting to have it done before the end of the year.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

sheryl69
on 9/15/13 3:17 am
I had a hysterectomy in July and so happy with the results. What would you like to know?

it took awile and there were bumps on the road but i had my rny performed by dr jules foute nelong at guelph general hospital on september 16, 2013  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/15/13 4:05 am - OH

I cannot think of any reason that having a hysterectomy after RNY would be any different than having one before it.  I had one back in 1995 (when I was only 32) because of fibroids/pain/bleeding.  Mine was the old-fashioned open kind, so recovery was kind of long, but it was just a routine surgery.  After suffering from the pain for about 2 years and having tried a number of things (including Lupron injections) to avoid having the surgery, I was glad to have it end.  I had some emotional fallout from losing the ability to have children, but that doesn't apply in your case.

Will the surgeon leave you ovaries?  Unless there is some medical reason to remove them, you are better off keeping them so you don;t go through the surgery-induced menopause (which can be much worse than natural menopause). 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

selhard
on 9/15/13 4:11 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

At age 48, I didn't have tumors or pain, but I did have constant bleeding.  The GYN doctor said I needed a hysterectomy but morbid obesity made it too risky.  Therefore, we opted for a D&C followed by insertion of a five-year Mirena IUD.  It has worked to stop any and all bleeding whatsoever. I have had no issues with the IUD. The IUD will come out when my blood work shows I am in menopause and we'll see from there.  My goal is no more surgeries; not even plastic surgery.  

cajungirl
on 9/15/13 5:50 am, edited 9/15/13 12:50 pm
My hysterectomy is post-RNY. I was 45 and had female problems since I was 16 with several surgeries to remove fibroid cyst and tumors and endometriosis. It was suspected when I was 22 that I had adnemyosis. I'd have cramps so bad and serious bleeding for years.

I did try the ablation first no luck at all. I was having a period twice a month and it didn't slow them down. Elected to do a hysterectomy (both ovaries taken too) and it was one of the best things I've ever done. My gyn said she was oretty sure i had adneomyosis and the path report confirmed it. That is one reason an ablation didn't work. I am on hormones although I've tried twice to go without.....I'm filled with anxiety without and experience some terrible night sweats.

Pain wise it wasn't real bad but the recovery did take longer than I anticipated. Mine was done laparoscopic.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

avidreader
on 9/15/13 6:13 am - Cary, NC

No problems what so ever - so happy I had the hysterectomy - had no choice in the matter - I had begged for one for years and there was no medical reason until my uterus started dropping out of my bottom - BINGO - that was the trick.  I also had a rectocele repair with mesh and that went great, too.  My main suggestion - start taking stool softeners WAY before your surgery - I thought I would die with the first BM after the surgery and was terrified I had done damage to the surgery.  Like Laura said, no different than in a non-RNY patient - I did increase my protein for several weeks to aid in healing.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Tracy7219
on 9/15/13 8:51 am - Stockbridge, MI

I had my hysterectomy 16 and a half years ago when I was 24. (Just about 3 weeks after my daughter was born.) I was bleeding so bad. I went through 2 DNC's and then eventually emergency surgery. I think it was the best thing to happen to me. They did leave my ovaries and tubes. I used to feel myself ovulating and that can get painful sometimes but was so much better than dealing with the bleeding. 

Hope all goes well.

kisersassy
on 9/15/13 12:11 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
I had my hysterectomy 4 months ago when I was 7 months post op RNY and 5 months post op with gallbladder removal. I do not miss at all the very painful periods or the rupture ovarian cysts I would get. I haven't had night sweats but I have hot flashes. Mainly at night. My OBGYN. holds off as long as possible to give hormone replacement so he suggest I take Benydrel for insomnia and the hot flashes. Seems to work! But I lost 14 pounds in May after surgery but haven't lost a single pound since
Bibo
on 9/16/13 10:52 am

I am having one on September 23. They are taking my ovaries too. I had my RNY on May 1. My bariatric doc isn't excited about it, cause I am so  soon after the RNY, but my insurance is ending. My primary and my gyn are on the same page, and a second opinion from a different bariatric doc was neutral. My ulcer just healed and I also just had a prophylactic mastectomy with reconstruction on August 12. So other than being tired, I am still losing weight, and able to exercise. So in order to manage a LOT of female complications and reduce cancer risk, I am having the surgery next Monday. They don't really have me on any particular precautions, although I am bringing my vitamins and protein shakes to the hospital with me.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views