5 days out of surgery and I am uncomfortably full all the time

bsouder2210
on 10/4/13 8:48 am
I had surgery Monday. It is now Friday. I am on the liquid diet. I sip water all day and sip a protein shake all day. I feel so full and uncomfortable all day I really don't see how I am suppose to have 64 oz of water and 5 to 6 meals at 2 oz each every day. Part of my pain is surgical but I can't take deep breaths because I feel so full. What am I doing wrong?What should the priority be when eating? Should I try for all the water or finish the protein shake? I feel like I can't do both. I am stressing a bit because of feeling so full. What do I do now?
poet_kelly
on 10/4/13 8:56 am - OH

Your protein shake counts towards your 64 oz of liquid. 

You're not doing anything wrong.  You're just swollen and sore from the surgery.  You should be able to drink more easily soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Danimar
on 10/4/13 9:04 am - San Antonio, TX

I'm a few weeks out, and I remember those first few days.  I don't know what your surgeon's program is, but my surgeon had us on nothing but clear liquids for the first full week, and continuing liquids for the second week.  We were allowed to have protein shakes IF we felt hungry enough during that time.  It was hard the first few days just to get all the liquids in, so I can't imagine having protein shakes on top of that.  Staying hydrated is your most important thing right now, and you're not going to go malnourished from leaving the protein out for a week or so.  Why don't you try sticking to clear liquids until you need something more?  Usually, by the end of week two or going into week three, you should start wanting something more. Week three is when they have us start mushy foods like refried beans, yogurt, etc.   If you're still struggling after cutting down on the protein shakes, then maybe a call to your surgeon's office would be good.  Good luck!!

HW (395) - I lost some before starting my process.  SW (375) Surgery Date (350)  CW (307)

bsouder2210
on 10/4/13 9:10 am

I was on full liquids before leaving the hospital. I can have anything liquid and then yogurt and pudding. Since surgery I have only had water, tea, and my shake. I feel like I need the shake because I am getting dizzy easily. I feel like they make me sick too. I never throw up but I feel sick for a while. 

Danimar
on 10/4/13 9:22 am - San Antonio, TX

I'm so sorry you're having that problem, and I completely understand that every surgeon's program is different.  It actually helps me to read through everyone's posts here to see what different people do.  I just thought it might help to share what my surgeon does, but it seems like that's not the best option for you.  I think once the swelling from the surgery goes down, you'll probably be feeling a little better soon.  It seems as though you're doing everything you were told to do.  I hope you'll be feeling better soon!

HW (395) - I lost some before starting my process.  SW (375) Surgery Date (350)  CW (307)

bsouder2210
on 10/4/13 9:25 am

Thank you. I know it will get better. I am measuring everything by oz not thinking about the swelling. I will do the best I can. 

Missella20
on 10/4/13 11:51 am
RNY on 07/11/13

It does get easier.  Try not to worry and keep following your plan. I had a few moments where I didn't think I could do it anymore and a nap would make me feel better lol.   kiss

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

noway2
on 10/4/13 7:56 pm
RNY on 09/26/13

I'm 9 days out and I understand, in fact, I remember how you feel.  It really does get better and I found that each day was better than the one before.  Don't push yourself but try to get the liquids in as best as you can.  If you can do the shakes, great.  I found that I had to wait a few days before I could.  You might also try things like popsicles and sugar free Jello.  Remember that this all contributes to your liquid intake.

In the full liquid stage, I also took some plain Greek yogurt and thinned it down.  It is a good source of protein and the yogurt bacteria really helped assuage some of the digestive "issues".

Most Active
Recent Topics