How much do your routine blood tests cost?

Nutmegger
on 10/20/13 6:38 am
I just got a $1,300 Bill for my general labs. Insurance covered $500, guess who needs to cover the rest?!

I can't believe it, for a blood test??

Has anyone else seen this? I'm really floored and can't afford that.

Thanks
poet_kelly
on 10/20/13 6:49 am - OH

I don't think that's for a blood test.  It's for a whole bunch of blood tests. Last time I got labs done, they needed to draw 14 tubes of blood.  They did more than 14 tests.  And yeah, that amount sounds about right.

Do you know why you insurance only covered $500 of it?  Were there some tests they did not cover at all?  My insurance pays 80% of my labs.  Yours paid less than half.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ebtiger24
on 10/20/13 6:50 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I pay about $350. They bill about $1500, but will take what my insurance company would reimburse them for if it were a covered service. I pay upfront.

angeleigh
on 10/20/13 6:53 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Ya i just had my 1 year post op ones done, and I had to have them done at the hospital since the lab didnt have tubes for the minerals. They submitted over 1900 for all the test. I think it was 14 or 15 test done. My insurance made the hospital write off about 800 of it and now I have to pay the rest of it since I havent meet my 4k out of pocket this year. I have learned to ask for them next year as part of my yearly physical since they cover all ordered lab work at 100% at that visit.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Nutmegger
on 10/20/13 6:59 am
Thanks, that is good to know about the physical coverage and I will definitely do it for my 1 year.
angeleigh
on 10/20/13 7:10 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Make sure to check with your insurance first. Just ask if order blood work is included in your yearly physical. for most insurances your yearly pap and physical is paid at 100%, and there for most all lab work ordered from those visits is paid at 100%.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

cajungirl
on 10/20/13 9:30 am
This is exactly what happened to me. My insurance also pays 100% if it's done with my annual physical.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

ebtiger24
on 10/20/13 6:54 am, edited 10/20/13 1:50 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
Just a follow up. That is a major gripe I have with the healthcare industry. They should have to post their prices for things like that so a person can make some informed decisions about where to get their tests done.

Nutmegger
on 10/20/13 7:03 am
Totally agree! Now I know to ask if they can be done elsewhere. My doctor told me they had to be done at the hospital lab. But no way am I doing that again.
poet_kelly
on 10/20/13 7:12 am - OH

My local hospital does have prices for labs listed online. But I would assume any lab would provide you with that information if you asked for it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics