How much do your routine blood tests cost?

AR_Queen
on 10/20/13 9:53 am
RNY on 05/29/13

I am the Director over billing and medical records at my hospital, and I will tell you that you should ABSOLUTELY call around to different places to get their prices.  You may have to wait a day or so for someone to get back to you, if they are not prepared to quote prices right over the phone.  In Ohio, all hospitals are required by law to post prices for their most common procedures on their websites.  The labs you needed done are most likely not all on the "most common" lists, but someone in the hospital billing office should be able to get you an estimate.  There is great variance between the same procedures between different providers, whether it is labs, imaging studies, surgeries, etc, so it always pays to check around.  Also, now that you have the bill, contact the billing office to see what their financial assistance policies are, and what their payment plans are.

Nutmegger
on 10/20/13 6:55 am
Thanks, it was just the blood tests, the bill lists "labs."
It on,y covered the standards, 2 or 3 vials, not hormones (typically 10 vials for that). It tested calcium, potassium, cholesterol, b12, d, magnesium, iron, about 3 others, but all standard that would be part of your yearly general physical for anyone.

I have to call about the insurance percentage. It's crazy to me that they will cover a percentage or only some measures, like calcium is important to them, but not Vitamin D (they're in the same person!
poet_kelly
on 10/20/13 7:11 am - OH

That's ridiculous for just two or three vials!  And what about all the other labs that apparently you didn't get done?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/13 8:59 am - OH

A couple of the things you listed are probably not considered "part of your yearly physical for anyone", and the problem may be the way your doctor coded the lab order.  If (s)he did not put in some kind of a malabsorption code, your insurance may not be covering some of the labs at all or may be covering them at a different level.  Get a detailed EOB that explains exactly how much they paid for each of the tests.  (BTW, the vitamin D test alone at some labs is around $400.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/20/13 8:33 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Are you not aware of how you are billed and the estimated costs for services with your insurance?

I can go in and enter common things and get a price on the spot-and it knows how much of my deductible and OOP have been spent. If it something less common, I just call with the diagnostic code and they will tell me.

For routine work, I would never have something done without knowing the cost associated because you DO have a choice where you go for healthcare services. If I used MedCorp, I pay a LOT more. By using QuestDiagnostics, my costs are almost half of the MedCorp negotiated rate. 

Do your homework for the next round and you'll not be surprised.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cajungirl
on 10/20/13 9:27 am
No consolation I'm sure since you have to pay out of pocket, BTDT. I now make sure to run them with my annual wellness visit so I avoid the surprises.

This year my EOB shows cost submitted was $2,900 +\- of course insurance didn't pay that the provider had to write off most of it.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Dukemom
on 10/20/13 9:39 am
RNY on 12/17/13

Mayo ordered my pre-op blood work - 17 vials worth.  I have BC/BS PPO, and I have met my out-of-pocket expense for the year.  That being said, I went to their preferred lab instead of Mayo anyway.  (I've had blood work done at Mayo before, again after having met my out-of-pocket expense for the year; because Mayo is in-network, it was covered at 100%)

The explanation of benefits for the 17 vial blood work at Quest.  Quest billed $3,200; my BC/BS 'discount' was $2,800, and BC/BS covered the balance of ~ $400 at 100%.

The whole business of what medical providers bill, versus what is allowed to be billed by the insurance company, is a huge racket.

On a side note, my doctor told me some insurance companies don't cover testing for D3.  Mine does, but it would be quite a shock to get that bill too. 

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

gek9742000
on 10/20/13 10:04 am
RNY on 10/29/12

My portion of the blood tests is almost $200.  I believe my total cost was around $2000.

250 day of surgery 
150 current weight
135 goal weight

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 156 views