HELP - Light headed and passing out

Dar_Mab
on 10/17/13 10:18 pm, edited 10/17/13 10:20 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Okay.  I have had zero issues or complications since surgery.  However this past week and a half I have periods in the morning where I am light headed and a "flush" feeling comes over me like I am hot and going to pass out.  I have actually passed out twice. Once this past Monday.  Ended up on the kitchen floor -  ow... my bum hurts!  And then this morning I passed out in the kitchen and landed on the kitchen floor on my back - ow-- now I have a goose egg on the back of my head.  And while in the shower this morning, earlier, I had the light flush feeling come over me. 

It has only been in the mornings.   Not when I first get out of bed... and doesn't seem to have anything to do with just standing up quickly.  It seems to happen while I am standing and have been standing making breakfast which is after I shower and get dressed.   But coincidentally I did notice it is before I eat.    I feel fine after I eat.   

I know I have been stressed lately due to my separation and experiencing stress headaches but I don't think that has anything to do with it.  But I have kept up my regimented proper eating and exercise.      I usually get 1000 - 1150 calories per day in, 100 gr of protein, keep carbs below 100 and only have complex carbs from whole grains or veggies.

When I went to my Dr's in early sept I was low in Vit A, Megnesium and Iron.  Iron was at 11 which is the very bottom of the scale.   I now take 2 Iron tablets a day.   My blood pressure is low  - usually about 90 / 60 - but that is the norm for me before I was obese and since I lost all the weight.     My blood sugars were perfect and I don't take any diabetes medicine at all anymore.

I have a call out to the head nurse at the Guelph Bariatric Clinic so hopefully Audrey will call me back today.   My family dr is away until mid November.  She wanted me to do repeat blood tests next week - which I will do - to look at the above items.     I guess I could make an appt with another dr in the medical group but then I have to start all over again bringing them up to speed on the bariatric process etc.

So... was wondering if this signs of low iron (Anemia), low blood sugar, low blood pressure?  or what the heck else it is?  

Thoughts?

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

VintageChick
on 10/17/13 10:25 pm, edited 10/18/13 5:20 am
My guess is blood sugar. Do you still have your glucometer from back when you were on diabetic meds? Perhaps you can test yourself several times during the morning... upon awakening, after morning activities, and after you eat. I hope you get a call back from your medical office today!

lap RNY 5-15-13

PetHairMagnet
on 10/17/13 11:23 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
Please get to the doctor stat! For me it was very low blood pressure. Even at my heaviest I had low BP and it goes VERY low now, so I have had to increase my sodium and do a 3 point stand if I have been sitting for any period of time to prevent blacking out. But it could be a host of other things and your doctor reply need to be tightly in the loop on this.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

TurnThePage
on 10/18/13 12:37 am

This is very dangerous!!!  Call your doctor's office NOW --even if s/he is away, there will be a doctor on call taking her/his patients in the interim--or go to the emergency room or urgent care clinic.

You could fall and seriously injure yourself (broken hip, head injury, pass out and start a kitchen fire, etc.) or if driving, perhaps cause an accident and kill someone.  

This is serious and you need medical help NOW, not an online chat.

christinalee
on 10/18/13 12:59 am - At Home in, NH

I've recently been diagnosesd with iron-deficiency anemia.  My symptoms include:  headache, dizziness/lightheadedness, diffculty breathing with exercise, brittle nails, weakness, and fatigue. 

You say you are taking two iron pills a day?  What type and what amount of elemental iron?  Are you taking it with Vitamin C to increase absorption?  I've just begun to research and learn about post bariatric surgery iron absorption problems, what's tolerated and what's not and what the best course of treatment might be.  However, I do know there are many vets who participate on the Obesity Help forums who have a great deal of knowledge about the iron deficiency and treatment options -- you can also use the search function to gain more knowledge. 

Your symptoms could be many different things, so the advice to seek immediate medical assistance is spot-on.  I wouldn't let bringing a different doctor up-to-speed about bariatric needs drive your decision to seek or not seek an appointment ASAP.  Your health is so much more important than that!

Best wishes for a speedy diagnosis.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/13 1:59 am, edited 10/18/13 4:20 am

Most likely low blood sugar. I had that happen to me a good few times until I realized what I need to do. I would start my day with 1tsp of NSA PB. (The real thing). Some days I just kept it by my bed and took tsp even before getting out of bed. Later I realized that my last meal the previous day was not late enough or had too many carbs and that made my BS crushed in am. Now - I eat 1 oz of nuts or small serving of high protein+ fat+complex carbs just before bed. That keeps my blood sugar stable during the night.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/13 4:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have had the same thing happen several times, and it is low blood pressure. I have a glucose meter and my sugar is  fine. But my baseline BP is also 90/60, and there just isn't much margin of safety if it drops further. It can happen while standing up, or after standing still for a while. 

The best thing you can do is drink more. This may be why it happens in the morning, before you have a chance to hydrate. But seriously, don't listen to random advice on the internet. Get checked out as soon as possible.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views