Second thoughts

tracy71
on 10/21/13 10:06 am

Before surgery did anyone else have these thoughts? I am on day 2 of liquid diet and I sooo want to eat and just wondering if I am making the rt choice I mean I know I am considering I am diabetic 5 shots a day I know this is rt but the dang food its killing me just wish I could hide until surgery and post op.

VintageChick
on 10/21/13 10:43 am
Very normal! The pre-op diet was tough for me, too. Just take it one day at a time... sometimes one minute at a time when you have to fight real hunger pangs! I had kept myself so well-fed that I'd almost forgotten what true hunger feelings were until I started my liquid diet. It's all SO worth it in the end, and you're almost there. You can do it!

lap RNY 5-15-13

ebtiger24
on 10/21/13 10:47 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Keeo a constant flow of fluids going. That will help. The first 2-4 days are the worst. 

JayVB
on 10/21/13 12:55 pm - Benton City, WA
RNY on 08/20/13

Sure did.  Had a bad headache for the first 4 days and then it stopped.  Keep the liquids going.  I used a SF powder to add flavor to the water it helped keep my sipping on the cup. I was seven large shots and now on just 2 small doses.  I also kept active with projects and cleaning around the house and shop.

TurnThePage
on 10/21/13 3:00 pm

Yep. The first few days are the hardest, then you get into the swing of things. Think of it as boot camp. The good news is that it will be soon.  Take care!

PetHairMagnet
on 10/21/13 9:25 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
I ever had a moment of second guessing myself, but the first two days in the liquid diet were rough! The next 19 were much easier!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

osubuxfan
on 10/21/13 11:30 pm - Rome, GA

Yeah - I'm second guessing my decision now too; I'm pretty sure it is just preop jitters, but knowing it and controlling it are 2 different things.  I have been so focused, determined and excited with no doubts whatsoever until this week with the preop diet - it just made it all very real!!

I keep running all the various scenarios through my head, the possible complications of the surgery, quality of life afterward if I'm nauseous all the time or have trouble tolerating foods, etc.; I know it's a small percentage that have those kinds of complications, but it is possible.  It's very scary to think about the permanency of the decision.  Right now, I'm just fat, but I'm not sickly nor do I want to be.

That said, the older I get the greater the toll of the obesity on my body and my quality of life; if I am this exhausted lugging around this extra weight at 50, I can't imagine how much worse it is going to be at 60+.  The other thing is that I considered this surgery when I was 40, but fell into the "I can do it on my own; this is too drastic" mentality and now here I am 10 years later in the same place; I don't want to waste another decade giving myself the same old lip service.  There are risks on both sides of this and, for me, spending more time in the same rut is no longer an option. 

My PCP when I was 40 told me (rather bluntly, but very accurately) - Yes, you MAY die from having surgery or MAY HAVE complications, but being fat and those complications are DEFINITE!! 

I just keep reading the stories and posts of those that have been successful even with complications, etc., looking at before & afters and just keep reminding myself why I started this journey.

I hope you can find some peace and follow through with the decision that will serve you best!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics