No Calorie Counting

bdaycakegirl
on 10/21/13 10:49 am

At my NUT appointment, we were instruced to eat 20 grams of protein per meal, and no more than 15 grams of carbs per meal.

If I do that I am only eating 240 calories a day in protein and 165 calories in carbs.

Does that seem right? Maybe we are supposed to eat fat?  They say to go low fat.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 10/21/13 10:57 am - OH

How many meals a day will you be eating?  Just three?  I was initially told to eat four to six times a day and now I eat at least six times most days.  I would not get enough protein or calories eating just three times a day, plus my blood sugar would get too low and I would be hungry and cranky.

Yes, you are supposed to eat some fat.  Your body needs some fat in order to function.

If you're only planning to eat three meals a day, I don't think 15 grams of carbs per meal would be enough for very long.  A super low carb diet is ok for a short time, but only 45 grams of carbs a day doesn't sound like enough for very long.

60 grams of protein a day may not be enough long term, either.

And 405 calories a day would not be enough for very long at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/21/13 10:59 am

See this is where I get confused. They tell us not to count calories, only make sure we get 2o p at one meal and no more than 15 carbs at another. I think we eat three meals and one snack IF NEEDED.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 10/21/13 11:03 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I eat every 2-3 hours.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/13 1:06 pm

Fat is good.  I would eat app 5-10 gr of fat per meal.   while losing - 5 gr sounds good.

Now my goal is to get 6-7 meals a day ; 20- 30 gr of proteins- 10 gr of fat and 10 gr of carbs.  Maintenance

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/21/13 2:28 pm - OH

Your body needs SOME fat.  Without it, your skin and hair will get very dry and -- a bigger problem for most people -- the lack of fat contributes to constipation!

400 calories a day total isn't enough, but I'm a little confused on your math.  How many of the 20g of protein meals are you eating? How are you calculating the number of calories from carbs and from protein, since not all foods with carbs have the same number of calories (e.g., compare the caloric content of broccoli versus milk versus a bagel in amounts with the same number of carbs) and not all kinds of protein have the same number of calories (e.g., beef has more calories per gram of protein than chicken because of the fat in the beef, and even chicken and tuna have different caloric values for the same number of grams of protein)?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laura in Texas
on 10/21/13 10:02 pm

My surgeon's office does not give any "calorie count" just serving size suggestions in the beginning. Long-term, though, if people have trouble maintaining, calorie counting is essential.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

bdaycakegirl
on 10/21/13 11:09 pm

I was calculating (and could be wrong) 1g protein = 4cals and 1g carb = 4 cals. I was calculating for three meals a day. We were told NO snacking and if we were still hungry we could add a 4th meal with the same stats.

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 1:14 am - OH

I'd check with your dietician or whomever is instructing you.  Ask for a sample menu.

You know, to get 20 grams of protein, you'd need to eat about three ounces of meat, which will be pretty difficult in the first few weeks.  And I don't think three ounces of meat has 15 grams of carbs, does it?  So you'd have to add some veggies to get those, and I really don't think you'd be able to eat that much food in the beginning.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 411 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views