cold sores

angie1973
on 11/6/13 9:03 am
RNY on 09/25/13

has anyone been plagued with cold sores after surgery? I  hear lysene can help keep them at bay, anyone have any other remedies to keep them away at least some. I have had 3 in 3 weeks. I use abreva and ice to get rid of them but would like to do something to keep em away.

Angie1973 

averybyrd
on 11/6/13 10:00 am

I've always gotten them - a gift from my mother, I guess. They're a virus, so there's nothing you can do to get rid of them. There are some other medicines you can take (Valtrex) which will help make them go away, but as far as I've heard, you can't do anything to prevent getting them except work on your immune system and avoid triggers (for example, Altoids have always meant a canker sore for me!)

Jenn C.
on 11/6/13 10:03 am - Naugatuck, CT
RNY on 10/21/13

Are you getting sick in any way? Maybe they are coming around because of the surgery due to stress on your body?

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/13 10:25 am

I use Karmex. 

Lora R.
on 11/6/13 7:46 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Abreva did nothing for me.  The last time I seen my PCP, I was in the middle of one (first one in a year) and she said if I get it again she will give me a script for the Lysene I think it was.  Carmex always helps me.

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Cac435
on 11/6/13 9:07 pm

I have a script for Valtrex. I take it at "first tingle" haven't had one in years! I keep it in my purse at all times.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/13 11:44 pm - NV
VSG on 11/04/13

I used to get cold sores all the time but finally found a treatment that almost always works.  As soon as I think I am getting one I take Lysine.  I take two tablets 3-4 times daily and the sore would never get larger than a very tiny bump and would never rupture.  It usually takes about 3-4 days of treatment but it is so worth it.  If I wait too long before starting it or if I stop taking it too soon it will blow up as if I didn't take it at all.  

Lysine works because it inhibits arginine which is necessary for virus replication.  My doctor mentioned that using zinc, vitamin C, and bioflavonoids (fruits and vegetables with bright colors) in combination with lysine helps too.  I have only just used lysine.

Now I have not had a cold sore since surgery and not sure what I will do when it happens because the tablets are quite large and can be difficult to swallow.  I guess they can be crushed and mixed in something but they don't taste very good.

Because timing is everything I always carry lysine with me.  Like I said, if I wait just a few hours too late, the bump has already progressed.  I will still take the lysine in hopes it will not last as long even if I get behind the curve.

KrisW47
on 11/7/13 1:16 pm
I take L-Lysine 500mg 1 daily and haven't had a cold sore in years. I used to get them all the time. Good Luck.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 211 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 223 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 211 views