And right on schedule...

gentlyonward
on 11/15/13 9:41 pm, edited 11/16/13 6:34 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

All my hair is falling out. :( It's a sadness because it was super thin to begin with.... I'm down 68 pounds in 3 months, but I've noticed the loss slowing to a creep lately. Now, this is absolutely, 150% my fault... I tried adding a few carbs back in (potatoes mostly) as well, I haven't been getting my protein or water or vitamins in. I noticed that almost the SECOND this quadfecta (pretty sure that's not a real word...) of terrible habits started... BAM... Superslowdown. I also haven't really started exercising.. I run every once in a while.. but I need to get to the gym and WORK. I guess that going bald is just the final kick in the now-saggy arse that I needed to knock things into perspective... Not complaining, I know where I made my mistakes... Just posting to keep myself accountable. :)

Dukemom
on 11/15/13 10:06 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

Accountability is good.  You know what you've done wrong and you know how to fix it.  Now get to it and stop losing hair!!  kiss

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

_nicky_
on 11/15/13 10:39 pm - OK
RNY on 06/25/13

My hair has been falling out for about a month as well and it does suck. At least we know it will stop eventually! 

Good job admitting where you've strayed. Now you know what you need to do to get back to it! Hope you can take advantage of this period of loss and learning. :)

5'6"   HW: 297   SW: 274   CW: 194   GW: 135

Total loss: 103 lbs    Surgery loss: 80 lbs    Left to lose: 59 lbs

illinois Gama D.
on 11/15/13 11:12 pm

get on  with it and GO!!! you have been doing great, back in the saddle, JUST DO IT :) The hair thing, well I am one that thinks I don't care what you do it is going to happen, if your hair is thin then you really notice it , if it is thick not so much, good luck, YOU CAN DO THIS!!:)

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

sonyamarie75
on 11/15/13 11:13 pm - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

You're doing great! I don't think its abnormal to see your weight loss slow after a while but getting back to basics is a good thing! 

You had surgery about the same time I did. Where are you at on calories right now? I'm just curious. I know better than to compare myself to others but I can't help it. LOL. 

I'm losing my hair too. I've been taking biotin and B12 but haven't noticed that it is making a difference yet. I didn't have a lot to begin with. Oh well. If worse comes to worse I'll get a wig. Ha!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 1:22 am - OH

No vitamin supplement will stop the hair loss.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BigTMoe
on 11/16/13 12:50 am

What?  You lose your hair with this surgery?  OMG!  I thought that was a myth-- does it happen to everyone?  How do I make sure I avoid this?  PANIC!!!!!!!

BigTMoe

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/16/13 1:01 am
It is a side effect of anesthesia called telogen effluvia. Most people experience it to some degree.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 1:30 am - OH

You cannot do anything to avoid it.  Some lose more than others.  Google telogen effluvium to understand what it is (and why you cannot really do anything about it).

Also, since it is almost certain to happen (and is one of my HUGE pet peeves), when someone posts that they started taking/using product XYZ and it really helped their hair loss, keep in mind that they have NO CLUE whether it helped at all or not, since they have no way of knowing how much they would have lost WITHOUT product XYZ.  I believe the science that says you cannot stop the process, not some anecdotal incidents where someone had already reached the point at which the hair loss was going to slow down anyway.

Lora

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 1:25 am - OH

You REALLY need to get your protein and vitamins in.  Not getting these will make the hair loss WORSE, not to mention the toll it will take on your health in general.

So, back to the protein, vitamins, and water.  This is NOT a diet that you can quit when you feel like it; this is the life that you signed up for when you signed the surgical consent. You are worth the effort required to take good care of yourself, so get back to doing it starting NOW.

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics