In an uninformed idiot!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/16/13 12:19 pm
Hey, it will be okay. I am sorry you did not have some of this info before. We are all in this boat together. You are still in an adjustment period and this probably seems like a crappy surprise. But we are all here for each other. Chin up and keep chuggin. You will be okay.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

poet_kelly
on 11/16/13 8:55 pm - OH

I think it's reasonable that people expected their doctors to give them all the relevant information. Unfortunately, that often doesn't happen.  But I don't think it means people did anything stupid or wrong by trusting their doctors.

I really do hope you ask you doctor why you weren't given more information. Hopefully if doctors are questioned about the lack of information they provide, they will start doing a better job of educating patients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/16/13 10:25 pm, edited 11/16/13 10:26 pm

One extra Thing that I learned long term - is that after the honeymoon period, and I lost all the weight and some, comes maintenance. And that was - is harder that I imagined it would be.  And that the regain, if it happen is very hard to lose again... IT is not impossible but it is much harder IMO  to get rid off.  It is critical IMO to prevent major regain and make sure to monitor closely your weight so 5 lbs regain does not turn into 20-50 lbs or more

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/16/13 10:36 pm - Burleson, TX

HALA--excellent-post--and so very, very TRUE!!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

JenniPenny
on 11/17/13 1:15 am - MN

It's not such a big deal if you learn about it now. The malabsorbtion is temporary - it becomes a non issue about 18-24 months post op. The villa in the intestinal tract -the part we now have-grows back and becomes efficient again. The digestive system also becomes more efficient in trying to stave off starvation and keep us alive. It's a survival instinct for our bodies. You'll lose hair - we all do. It's from surgery, the shock to our body, anesthesia, not eating enough and a few other reasons. It grows back and usually comes back better than it was before. You're the only one that may notice some hair loss - we don't go bald! Many go to a shorter haircut to make the hair look fuller during this period. Many of us don't have the malabsorbtion from day one, some of us absorb or B-12 through food making the monthly injection or daily sublingual not necessary. What we do is use the first year-for some the Honeymoon phase-to relearn new eating habits. We change our lifestyle to healthy eating and exercise. Once malabsorbtion ends we are habitually eating the right things, taking our vitamins and getting in enough water, so the malabsorbtion isn't necessary for weight loss or maintenance anyway. This is a tool - we have help losing the first year or a bit more, the rest is up to us. Changing eating habits, portion control and exercising is what helps us lose and keeps it off. It's work but we do it malabsorbtion or not. We cannot expect "the surgery" to do it for us. Follow your doctor's advice as to meal sizes, how oftern to eat, how much water to take in each day and exercise. Remember your vitamins and you'll be fine. Don't become a basket case over something that's easily learned. I'm sorry your doctor didn't tell you about these things. It's too bad they didn't come up somewhere in your preop research, visits with the doc or nut or reading on here. Don't fret - it's all do-able and this will be an amazing ride for you. Find a good support group in your area and learn from other post ops. It's good to have a weight loss buddy too going through the same thing as you. Please don't get all worked up about something you can manage and use to your advantage. This is a great start for you - make it the best you can.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

BigTMoe
on 11/18/13 12:10 am

Thanks Jen!  All good advice and I appreciate it!

TMoe

BigTMoe

SkinnyScientist
on 11/17/13 2:54 am

Easy Moe! Easy!

First, you did not make a mistake so dont be so hard on yourself.  You selected a procedure to provide weightloss. The RNY WILL do that.  Is there an unexpected "string attached" that you werent aware of ?  Yes. It happens with every tool in life. My Dad's table-saw cuts lumber, but it also cuts off arms. A nail gun quickly inserts nails but one should not point it at someone else.

So, now you know about the honeymoon phase. This is WONDERFUL, because now you know the amount of time you got "to make hay" (i.e. 18-24 months). Eat properly (meat and veg) let **** like noodles and cheese go. Exercise like you have never exercised before and you will be great!  Imagine if you didnt know....

Now, are you feeling bad that you had "the wrong surgery"?  I thought i really wanted the DS until I read about the bathroom issues. M. Fitzer has a good reputation in the area, my NP and endo recommended his group on their own (as in unprompted by me.  Like me asking "Who in the area is good?"  Fitzer doesnt do DS's.  I was _itching about it to my NP and thinking he wouldnt be the surgeon for me and my NP (a VERY straightforward woman) remarked that often DS patients know "where every public bathroom is in a 10 mile radius" due to their extensive toilet issues.

I have been fat my whole life, but I hope to wait until old age until I start crapping myself. Seriously, poop was the deal breaker for me on DS.

So I have decided on RNY and am happy.

My two cousins, the one cousins formerly heavy GF, my pastors wife, and a multitude of others would do their RNY's again in a heart beat. This crew is 5-10 years out and look great. Even those that gained some of the weight back. Their take is...I am not where i wanted to be but I am WAY better off now that what I was.

Blessings to you.

Here is a real science article about why people regain (not some internet lore...BUT peoples experiences can be quite informing so you should still listen. Listen, believe, but confirm) in the abstract it doesnt say anything about villi growing back. Maybe it is further in the article? At any rate, it appears to be hormonal with peptide YY and leptin ratios.

Stay calm, do not panic, do not berrate yourself. In genetic poker, everyone on this forum has been dealt a ****ty hand. We are all making the best choices we can to improve our hand.  By losing weight and maintaining that loss you are already ahead of "The House." 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900708 003006

BigTMoe
on 11/18/13 12:09 am

Thanks Skinny!  Feeling better today- more focused and more determined to change my habits and the way I feel about food!  

I don't regret my decision, although I have had the WTH did I do to myself thoughts. I'm more educated, more prepared to deal with this as it comes.  I'm determined (or at least just to dam stubborn) to let the little things get me down!

"Moe"-- I like it.   

BigTMoe

ShrinkingJoe
on 11/18/13 8:56 pm

Don't read this forum.  It is bad for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views