In an uninformed idiot!

Jen Lyn
on 11/16/13 9:19 am
RNY on 11/11/13

You did NOT ask a stupid question. This forum is for all of us considering or who have had surgery.  This is a place to get support.  Sometimes people come across in a way I don't like but I ignore them and find the good information.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 7:44 pm - OH

Just because you don't like the way someone comes across doesn't make their information less accurate!

And my response was to you not to the OP, anyway.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 9:31 am - OH

I'm not sure why you thought my reply -- which was to another poster, not to you, BTW.. although perhaps you just hit the wrong reply button so it looks like you are responding to me rather than to someone else... it is easy to do that when you are new to the forum -- indicated that I thought you asked a stupid question.  I certainly didn't say that, and never even thought that!  

I find it appalling that surgeons don't tell people about the malabsorption being temporary, that only about 30% of people dump (did they tell you THAT one?), or about the hair loss, possibility for reactive hypoglycemia, propensity for gallstones and kidney stones, etc.  if people are not told all of these things, how are they supposed to make an informed decision about which surgery to have (or whether or not to have surgery at all)?!?  I think surgeons who don't reveal such things are being unethical.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mkvand
on 11/16/13 9:35 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

It's not that they're stupid questions, it's that your doctor should have given you this information before the surgery.  Mine has.  It's easy to say someone should research before surgery, but frankly, most people suck at research, and you can't research the answers to questions you don't know to ask.  There are a lot of things I've found out from this forum that I never would have thought to ask, but as I get closer to surgery my doctor has given me more information, and many of the topics I see here are covered.  Try going back through old posts, and you'll get a lot of good info.  Then, at your next follow up, ask your surgeon why you weren't given this information before.

saterry
on 11/16/13 9:38 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Oh honey you did NOT ask a stupid question !!!

We all have to learn somewhere and we all have been new at one time ! 

You can ask anything on here, hahaha and I mean anything. You will see it all !

And you are right---the first couple of weeks are rough. No matter how much you have researched it is  a big adjustment.

Take it easy on yourself. Don't expect to be 100% perfect from day one. You have 24 hours to try and make this work for you, then you get to start over the next day.

Soon the pain will lesson, you will sleep better, eating and drinking becomes second nature and the pounds melt off !!

You will get an energy boost like none other and be out the door before you know it !!

Keep asking questions......this is a learning journey and we are all on this ride together.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Day_dream_believer
on 11/16/13 10:22 pm

Very good answer.

To the original poster:

The first few weeks are really hard.  I have seen so many posts here from people asking what they got themselves into during the first few weeks.  It will get better.  Yes the calorie malabsorption   will end, but it takes awhile.  Most call this the honeymoon period.  It lasts anywhere from 1 to 2 years.  During that time you can lose most if not all of your weight.  Take this time to learn how to eat healthy so once it does end you will be able to keep the weight off.  Yes, hair loss happens, but it will grow back.  I would much rather have a little hair loss than a unhealthy overweight body.

Please ask questions.  That is how we learn.  If you need to feel free to send me a personal message.

BigTMoe
on 11/18/13 12:12 am

Agreed!  New attitude today- I'm not going to sweat the small stuff!

TMoe

BigTMoe

daisy142
on 11/16/13 9:42 am - TX

We had surgery the same day and I am still in pain and taking my pain meds as prescribed.  I was able  to put some stretchy pants & big shirt on and walked outside twice today, it was really nice. Try to walk outside if you can.  I am still sleeping in our lazy boy recliner because it hurts too much to lay flat in the bed & i am wearing my binder 24/7.  This is the hard part, recovering from surgery and trying to figure out our new system. Each day is better for me, even if it is the tiniest bit.  There is NO dumb question in my opinion!!!  Keep asking for sure!!!!!  I'll be praying for you!!

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

BigTMoe
on 11/18/13 12:14 am

Hang in there Daisy!  Rough days are something I've had too-- you can tell from my emotional roller coaster posts---LOL. Praying for a streak of good days to come your way!

TMoe

BigTMoe

scoobyluvr1
on 11/16/13 9:54 am
RNY on 10/21/13

I don't remember my surgeon mentioning about the malabsorption ending, or about hair loss either.  Luckily I am aware though from being on this forum.  I know it seems overwhelming right now but it will get easier.  Although the malabsortion ends the restriction will continue.  So hopefully you will have lost most or even all of your excess weight before it ends.  The hair loss is temporary, it will grow back.   One day at a time and try not to sweat everything so much.    wink

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views