In an uninformed idiot!

BigTMoe
on 11/16/13 6:46 am

Malabsorption ends?  Hair loss?  What else donT I know and why didn't ANY of my doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, or ANYBODY tell me about any of this stuff?  I swear I'm losing it by reading this forum-- I'm 9 days post op and thought I was doing the right thing.  I can handle the diet, the vitamins, the counting calories and the exercise--

i keep learning more and more things that no one told me and I am so frightened I'm turning into a basket case!  What did I do to myself?  I actually thought I had learned enough about this before I made my decision-- I had the lap band before and none of this ever came up.  When I wanted to convert, you would have thought SOMEONE along the line would have at least mentioned some of these affects to me? Ad why didn't my doctor tell me that reabsorption was temporary????

BigTMoe

MrsLitch
on 11/16/13 6:59 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

That would be a good question to ask the staff at your clinic. My doctor gave us handouts required us to go to classes and gave us a book on CD which I read front to back. THEN, I went online and read everything I could regarding the surgery whi*****luded spending hours here going back and reading probably a year's worth of posts. I made sure I knew what I was getting into.

I often see posts on here with questions that are asked several times a week, or questions about pre op or post op diets and I wonder did anyone research this before they did it?! Seriously you just let someone cut into your body and alter it why wouldn't you have researched it thoroughly? (this isn't just directed at you there are tons of posters every day, and for those reading this who haven't had the surgery yet start reading now!)

I didn't need to post about stalls, foamies, hair loss, diet etc because I'd read it countless times and as each thing happened I kind of went "check" that one off my list.

Now as for what did you do to yourself? you had life altering, life changing surgery. A surgery that I personally would do again annually if I had to, to keep this quality of life. If you can handle the diet, the vitamins etc then you can handle the rest, seriously you can. You will more than likely lose some hair, not a big deal it isn't permanent it grows back,. Your body will absorb calories again, only a big deal if you let it be, if you are okay with the diet and lifestyle changes it won't matter you'll keep it under control, if not? you'll gain weight again and be back like so many going how do I lose the 60 pounds i regained? This stuff didn't come up when you had the lap band because it didn't apply to that surgery, it does to this one.

Sorry if I sound rude but I almost posted myself asking if anyone educates themselves before having this surgery after reading posts the past few days. God Bless the vets who stay here day after day answering for years.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

illinois Gama D.
on 11/16/13 7:21 am

perfect response!! couldn't have said it any better, RESEARCH is your friend, I also read everything , went to classes, talked to everyone I could and that was 10 years ago!!

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 8:44 am - OH

Yep.  Awesome answer from beginning to end.  Ditto.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/16/13 7:00 am - OH

I don't know why your doctor didn't tell you those things.  I encourage you to ask him or her.  Those are all things I think patients should be informed of. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 11/16/13 7:21 am

Interesting. did you not do any research on your own? Hair loss and saggy skin seem to be the two things people worry about so I am surprised you never heard of the hair loss. I've been to lots of support group meetings over the years and that is mostly what people talk about. I don't think my surgeon ever told me, but I did a lot of research on my own. We have to be our own advocates in all aspects of our lives.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/13 8:11 am - WI

My surgeon gave me a book, that I have read from front to back a couple of times. I think the only thing that has been confusing for me, is the difference in pre op and post op diets. However, I have learned that it is doctor's preference. My surgery is in two weeks and I keep making sure I am informed. The staff at Dr. Wallace's office are great in answering all my questions, and even when I was having second thoughts, they were there! I think if I have learned anything from this forum, it has been make sure you really are comfortable with your surgeon and you are prepared for the changes. I think the one thing to remember is yes we are all having or have had the same surgery, however no one will be same. Some may loose more hair than others, some may lose more weight, some may have complications. What is important, is you take control of your own health. I have asked a few questions on here, that I should have asked my doctor in the first place. Everyone's experience is going to be different!

Jen Lyn
on 11/16/13 8:33 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I went through two surgeons counseling. The first one told me villi don't grow back.  The second one said you should think that you will absorb all calories but not all nutrients.   I am  6 days post op and researched it through the surgeons, their staffs, two bariatric universities, this website, three people here in town, all my reg. docs. I feel a bit like you.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 8:48 am - OH

No, villi don't grow back... but you havent had any villi removed, so that is irrelevant (but I suppose would also technically be correct), but the body does grow additional villi  in the portion of the intestine still being used below the bypass.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BigTMoe
on 11/16/13 8:59 am

I did research- but never on a forum like this so I guess that is the hole in it.  I didn't get enough personal experience input.  I will handle whatever comes-- I just want to know what else is out there (the bad stuff the doctors don't tell you) so I can learn now.  

I am willing to do the diet, supplements, exercise and everything else.  I'm emotional right now- still in pain, trouble learning what to eat, feeling cooped up, not feeling like I can get all the liquids, protein, vitamins and everything required as I should.

The first and second weeks of this are very hard.  Sorry for asking stupid questions on your forum.

BigTMoe

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 190 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 319 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 270 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 440 views