Update on dizziness

Katie K.
on 11/20/13 6:49 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I had wrist surgery on the 4th and was out of work for a week. I need to get at least 100 oz of fluids per day or I get dizzy. I'd had maybe 40-60 oz per day that week. That Friday I passed out twice. I was certain it was from dehydration, so I didn't move from the couch until I dran****il I had to pee.

Everything was fine after that, stayed properly hydrated. The next Wednesday I had pt for my knee. I was waiting for my appointment, and went to the desk to ask a question. I almost passed out. Slid all the way across the counter and was hanging on for dear life. There was no reason for it to happen. 

My pcp ordered labs, did an EKG, and referred me to the cardiologist. Everything was fine. Cardiologist had me wear a monitor for 24 hours and that turned out fine as well.

I almost cried from frustration when he gave me the good news. I really need to find out what's going on. I still get dizzy when I'm properly hydrated, but nothing as bad as the pt incident so far. He referred me to a neurologist, who I'm seeing on Monday. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/20/13 8:13 pm

What you describe sounds like postural hypotention. Not only you need water but also salt and minerals.  Try adding more salt to your diet. That first.

I dealt with that. Finally I was diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency. It took a while to find a good doc who knew what was going on. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

karin602
on 11/21/13 6:06 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I am dealing with this now as well. I think I've seen every type of doc there is with everyone giving me a different diagnosis.  Surgeon says its something like neurocardiogenic - an autonomic dysfunction where your nerves aren't giving the proper signals especially when you stand up. ENT doing a VNG test, neurologist sending me to a balance center. In the meantime I get in lots of fluids, usually at least 100 oz. a day and am using a walker for balance (UGH!).  Both the primary and neurologist have banned me from driving so I have to rely upon my daughter for everything. Lost a couple of weeks from work as well but now as long as I have the walker and don't drive my boss has let me back.  This has gone on for more than a month and it is definitely getting old. Hope you can get yours resolved quickly.  I was on meclizine for a bit and now on clonopin which is also used for anxiety which I experience when I get really dizzy.  The surgeon says the neurocardiogenic diagnosis is not an uncommon result and extra salt and fluid does help - he presented a paper on this and says about 11% of patients experience this to some extent.  GOOD LUCK - let me know how you make out.

Karin

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 431 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 359 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 162 views