So tired of protein shakes!

bsouder2210
on 12/2/13 11:03 am
I am 9 weeks post op. I don't technically need to drink them but some days I can't get 60 grams of protein through food and want a shake to reach that goal. I am sooo tired of shakes. I have done different flavors and added different things and it doesn't seem to help. I am tired of the milky flavors. Is there a protein juice that tastes good? Something fruity maybe?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/2/13 11:35 am - OH

I don't know of a protein "juice", but Syntrax nectars are protein powder that mixes with water to make a drink that is like a slightly thickened Crystal Light. I comes in a number of fruit flavors (sour cherry, peach, lemonade, strawberry kiwi, etc.).

There are also protein waters made by Isopure and Cytomax, but they run close to $4 a bottle.  I personally couldn't gag down the Isopure, but like the Cytomax.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bsouder2210
on 12/2/13 11:44 am
So the first one that's like a thickened crystal light, does it taste good? I have never heard of anyone liking the taste of isopure so I didn't want to buy that one

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/2/13 12:28 pm - OH

It really depends on your individual taste buds.  I liked the Twisted Cherry (a slightly sour cherry flavor) and the Roadside Lemonade, but didn't like others that some people just love (like the Peach).  Mixed with water, I did not notice a milk type of flavor even though the powder is whey protein (but the smell was a bit "off" so I used a cup with a lid and straw hole).  

You can get individual samples of the Syntrax flavors from their website or from www.vitalady.com.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AR_Queen
on 12/3/13 9:19 am
RNY on 05/29/13

I have a huge tub of the peach that I used one scoop of. It was disgusting.

TurnThePage
on 12/2/13 12:06 pm

Unjury has a good  protein chicken soup mix. The savory flavor and warmth are a welcome change from the sweet cold drinks. Be sure to make according to directions.  Order from unjury.com.  Their Chocolate Splendor is also excellent.

Mary Catherine
on 12/2/13 12:15 pm

Here is the thing with "tasting good".  Whey is a milk product.  It is the milky part of a plate of cottage cheese.  Little Miss Muffitt ate curds and whey which is cottage cheese.  Some people can deal with the taste of milk mixed with fruit flavors.  I can't.  My first Snytax Nectar was called Roadside Lemonade and it tasted and smelled like a glass of lemonade mixed with sour milk. 

The only way I could get protein down was to put it in the category of a milkshake and stick pretty much with vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.  I learned to love my protein shakes and sometimes miss them.  I am long past the point where I need to be drinking my calories and do fine with food.

Unjury sells a chicken broth protein that some folks say they love.  I have not tried it and am afraid I would dislike it as much as mixing sour milk with chicken broth.

I stayed on protein shakes for well over two years and they kept me from eating or wanting solid food.  If you can learn to enjoy them, they will help much with the weight loss process.  The only protein powders that I ended up liking are the BSN Lean Dessert and BSN Syntha-6 Brands.  When you open up a jar of those and sniff it, it smells like cake mix.  The others all smelled like sour milk to me.

Katie B.
on 12/2/13 12:17 pm, edited 12/2/13 12:18 pm
I like the Syntrax Nectra iced tea. The smell is pretty bad, but it tastes pretty good! I too have gotten really sick of the milky flavors. I will warm you, however, don't judge any of the flavors based on the way they smell. They all stink really bad. Some taste better than others. You can actually order trial sizes of them online. Good luck!

Bibo
on 12/2/13 12:47 pm

I liked the isopure...it freezes into pretty decent popsicles also. The syntax is not bad, it seems strange to me to get "full" after drinking a glass of iced tea....to me, the syntax is a "tiny itty bit" thicker than the isopure, but a little sweeter.

selhard
on 12/2/13 12:50 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My first protein powder drink was in the hospital after RNY surgery.  (Both the nurse and I had been raised on a farm, so when I told her it tasted like what my father called "calf replacement," we had a good laugh...I raised my glass and said, "here's to a my new life so I better get use to it.")  To avoid the whey protein smell, try drinking your protein shake in a shaker cup that has about a 1 1/2 " inch opening to drink from.  Another friendly suggestion is to look at the many shake recipes found through bariatricfoodie or theworldaccordingtoeggface. If you keep trying, you just might start liking them again.  My shakes have evolved into:  Keifer, spinach, kale, milled chia seed, wheatgerm, banana, Unjury protein powder, Greek yogurt, walnuts, and berries.

Most Active
Recent Topics