Buyers remorse

Jen75
on 12/8/13 11:32 am
RNY on 07/18/13

I am 4.5 months post-op and started having the dreaded hair loss.  As if losing my hair in handfuls like a person would on chemo isn't enough, by now I thought I would be able to eat way more different types of food.  But I find there is very little that I can eat that doesn't make me feel nauseous or get stuck.  I find a slice of cheese is my main meal for every meal.  The energy I had after my surgery I find is dwindling down and I am entering a state where all I can think is, what the heck did I do to myself???  I begin to wi****ried harder to lose the weight with diet and exercise.  I know I cannot turn back... I am just hoping that things get better and that this will truly be all worth it in the end.  I also am hoping I don't go bald in the mean time.  If anyone has been at this low point in there post op stage...please tell me if it gets better.  I need some encouragement. 

Sherrie P.
on 12/8/13 11:48 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Are you getting enough calories?  If you are not feeding your body you won't have any energy.  Can you tolerate protein shakes?  

Are you taking your vitamins correctly? That can affect your energy levels too.  Recent labs?

I lost my hair for 3 months. The good news is that it stops!!

I think 4-5 months out was hard too... you were no longer excited about getting started -- and you aren't "thin" yet.  That awkward in between stage.  Just hang in there. It does get better. Don't push your pouch. You don't really need to get back to eating normal anyway -- you just need to get your weight off.

It doesn't mean you won't ever get back to eating that stuff... it just takes time!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/13 11:56 am

Sherrie,

I have been following your journey. Since I am planning to have my band out and revised to RYN, I have been reading everything that you post. I watched how you fought through your incision infection, to where you are today. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with me. You have calmed me when i get a little nervous, and give me hope that i will be in a good place soon. You're awesome!

Sherrie P.
on 12/8/13 8:16 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Oh.. I think you have me confused with another revision. I never had an incision infection --- or any other complication with my RNY! But I do support your journey and hope you have great success!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

MrsLitch
on 12/8/13 11:56 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I think many of us have had buyer's remorse in one way or another at one point or another in our journey. I had it the first time I had foamies, I had it the first time I tried to vomit (I still can NOT vomit so I just lay there feeling sick, thank goodness that isn't very often). I am fortunate enough to have very thick hair so the hair loss was a bonus for me, and it did grow back! It forced me into my current cut which I LOVE so it wasn't as bad for me as it appears to be for you. I'm sorry you are going through all you are going through!

Now as for the eating, what does your surgeon say? You shouldn't be so limited this far out. Have you been checked for a stricture? Is it certain types of foods that are worse? Our slider foods like yogurt easier? Are you drinking protein shakes? How are you getting in your 60g of protein?

I found that certain foods served me well at different times. When I found a food I liked and my pouch liked it I would eat it for 2-3 weeks and then would tire of it and find the next thing and eat it for a while. Some of the things I ate included, ground beef browned with 2 tablespoons of ragu to make it moister and allowed it to slide down easier, crispy bacon made in the microwave cooked between paper towels to remove the grease and crunchy enough to snap (this was my salty crunchy substitute for chips), Chicken thighs (and only thighs would sit well for a long time) cooked in a crock pot with some chicken broth to make them nice and moist, ribeye or skirt steak were the two steaks I could handle and still can't handle filet mignon or strip.

As for getting stuck, I still have that issue from time to time make sure you are chew chew chewing, that has never changed for me I must chew to almost mush or I'll pay for it. Also make sure you aren't eating too much, I never could eat what I was allowed and still can't. I see people here talking about eating 8 oz of food at a year out and there is just NO way I could get that in. I eat until I'm satisfied and have learned to stop before that last bite that sends me over the edge. I wish you luck going forward!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/13 12:01 pm

Thanks so much for posting this, Mrs. Litch. What great ideas! 

As for hair loss, I think that anesthesia is the main culprit. I've read some articles about it. I hope that it doesn't happen, but it is good to know that it  will grow back.When I lose weight, i WANT to get a cute cut, too!

Candy V.
on 12/8/13 9:28 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I have heard before that the anesthesia is the problem too. I lost lots of hair post RNY.   I had a second surgery (SI joint, 9 months post op RNY) and third (TT and hysterectomy, 12 months post op RNY ) after my RNY and had no hair loss even with anesthesia. 

The anesthesiologist told me that it was NOT from the anesthesia but from the RNY restricting calories and protein during recovery from surgery.  I am not saying this is true, I have not researched it.  I am just telling you what he told me.  AND IT SEEMS to be true in my recent experiences.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/9/13 8:58 am - OH

No, the main culprit is the stress that the sudden, drastic decrease in nutrition causes the body. SOME people experience mild hair loss after anesthesia, but nothing like after WLS. MANY of us have had numerous surgeries both before and after the RNY and have never experienced any hair loss except for the RNY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jen75
on 12/8/13 12:26 pm
RNY on 07/18/13

Sadly I know I am not getting my protein in.  I have tried every protein drink known to man... They all make me gag.  I feel as if my mind and body are against protein itself.  I talked to my PA about this...but she didn't say much of anything back.  I don't really care for my office anymore.  They were great before the surgery.  But after I don't feel like they care if I am healthy or not.  No clue what my labs are.  They never shared that info with me.  I have issues with meat.  Very few times has it not turned into a painful experience.  I do take all my vitamins religiously though.  I am glad to hear it gets a better.  Right now I am just feeling a bit down.  My hair is a bit of a security blanket for me.  It falling out makes me feel vulnerable. 

MrsLitch
on 12/8/13 12:50 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Jen I totally understand! (hugs)

Get a copy of your labs I had to request mine from the doctor's office. If they didn't give them to me I would have got them from the hospital where they were drawn. You want a copy so you can monitor your trends so you can adjust where needed.

okay so meat is an issue, have you tried other sources of protein? yogurt? beans? eggs? cottage cheese? Trying to help you come up with a way to get it in. It's important especially to stop the hair loss. While some of that is from the anesthesia it is also from our diet. If you can't start getting more in go to the surgeon's office and demand they listen to your issues and help you find a way to resolve them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!