Surgery Anxiety

canttouchus
on 12/15/13 10:13 am
RNY on 01/07/14

So I'm supposed to get my surgery in about 2-3 weeks and these past few weeks I have suddenly felt a wave of anxiety about EVERYTHING! I'm a senior in college, so I go to school in DC, but my surgeon in 5 hours away back in my home town. I haven't been home, so it's been hard the past few months trying to do the necessary classes and such.

Now, I'm finally back at home but I'm just feeling so stressed about the fact that I haven't heard back from insurance, I still have to take one more class, and I'm worried my thyroid labs won't come back with the results I'm supposed to have... UGH! I have to have my surgery within the next 3 weeks so I will have enough time to recover before I go back up to college. I lay in bed every night just thinking about it all. It's really making me frustrated. I'm just trying to calm myself down and tell myself that everything will work out... but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any advice?

soccermom19
on 12/15/13 10:23 am - Schenectady , NY

In regards to your insurance, give them a call and ask the status of the authorization request. I work at an insurance company and this is a common practice and members call in all the time to get information on pending authorizations or to find out if they are approved or denied. I to am in the middle of under going all the testing and in college, it is stressful, to add I have 2 kids a husband and a house and fulltime job. Its not easy but take a deep breathe and just make sure its something you want to do. I have done alot of research on this surgery and there are so many pros and cons, and its seems in most situations its more pros. It will be ok, we are all here to support one another :)

oh my name is Marie

BWB
on 12/15/13 10:26 am

I never encourage anyone your age to have gastric bypass.  You have so many years ahead of you and you don't know what new and improved methods are in research.  This surgery is drastic and it requires constant  maintenance by way of check ups, labs, nutrition, vitamins and supplements.  So many people do get educated about exercise, nutrition, and general good healthy eating and lose weight safely and smart.  Get counseling, a fitness trainer, and a dietitian or nutritionist.  You don't say if you have health issues, other than obesity, that require this route so I have based my opinion that you don't.  

canttouchus
on 12/15/13 11:24 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Thank you for your input but I have no doubts about this surgery for me. I've considered all my options, I've been trying to lose weight for almost 10 years with no success. I've had counseling, a fitness trainer, and a nutritionist. I also have PCOS so it's 10x harder for me to lose weight the traditional way. Again, I appreciate your input but I am confident in my decision.

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

krp123
on 12/16/13 1:52 am - Arlington, VA
RNY on 04/25/13

I am right there with you. I went to school in DC (graduated 3 years ago now) and still live in Arlington. I had the surgery in April at age 24 after fighting the weight since I was 12. Atkins, Jenny Craig, 2 dieticians, a disappointing physical every year, and doing fitness programs like p90x, even just hitting the gym daily, didnt do it for me. It bothered me when people told me, you should try A, B, and C before getting surgery because you are so young. Trust me, I did A, B, and C prior to making this LIFE CHANGING decision or else I wouldn't be doing it. Just cause were young doesnt mean losing weight is easier for us. Id rather get it done now and move on with my life, and ENJOY my twenties, thirties and beyond. I didnt want to wake up like some of my aunts did in their forties and fifties with all those health problems from a lifetime of obesity. And no, I am not lazy with bad eating habits. I danced for 15 years, participated in school sports like soccer and track, and unfortunately this is the way my body is...I felt betrayed by it in a way, like it was failing me. anyway, i am now 8 months out and you know what, BEST decision of my life. I can eat properly and work out and it ACTUALLY WORKS! As far as the anxiety, I was all set for months prior, since I had made my decision and done all the research prior to picking out a surgeon and going to see her. Then, like you, about 2-3 weeks out I started having panic attacks and questioning is this it? is this what it has come to? And the morning of surgery, as they were checking me out and then wheeling me into surgery, I was bawling my eyes out. I mean a complete meltdown, just thinking why, why me? why do i have to go to these measures? But you know what? I just told myself, no this is for you, after years of struggle you are standing up and doing something about it. No more, "one last shots" doing it the "natural way"....I did a million "one last shots" and never got below 195 pounds. So, you go girl! Be proud that you are taking control  and choosing to enjoy a long healthy life.  

Surgery: April 25th, 2013

Dcgirl
on 12/15/13 10:42 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi there! I live in DC and I have RNY tomorrow :)Here in DC. I have had some anxiety but my mom is a brilliant medical researcher and feels 100% comfortable with the surgery. She is in town to help me while I recover. In her words, "I want you healthy, but I want you alive even more. If I thought you were going to die from this, I would talk you out if it". That made me feel a lot better. My BMI is 60 but I am mobile and have no co-morbidities and I'm just super excited! Happy to tell you about it after the fact later in the week! :)

canttouchus
on 12/15/13 11:25 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Good luck! :)

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

jamienichols22
on 12/15/13 1:09 pm - MI

I just wanted to let you know that the anxiety is very normal!! There is one thing that you have to be thankful for that your surgery is not on top of the holidays ;) I have surgery at 9:30 in the morning and let me tell you shewwww!! I had to get Christmas done earlier way early, make arrangements for my daughter and hubby to have somewhere to stay because my hospital is over an hour away and weather here is terrible!! What I can tell you is take this time to prepare!! Get your house in order for easy access to things, get stocked up on chewable vitamins, get protein powder stocked (unflavored is best at first so it isn't to sweet). Call the insurance company and ask for a update on your status, ask if there is anything that can help it move along. But first breathe.....take a big deep breath and clear your mind!! Your time will come butterfly remember it's not always on our time but his time always has a reason!! Merry Christmas 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

QoftheU
on 12/15/13 4:12 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Oh ya baby - Anxiety is the order of the day around here! Should I, shouldn't I -- rinse and repeat ad nauseum! Hang tight - you'll get there and we're all on the same team. I've been somewhat of an on again-off again schizophrenic! First I'm super stoked, and then I'm freaky as hell! BUT - BUT - BUT... this is BEST for us and we're going to give it all we've got - Keep Calm and Carry On! I'm scheduled for this Wednesay and I've been on low doses of Klonopin to settle me down - I do MUCH better with it. So these next two days, while scary are also exciting. We're opening a whole new world - one we've either never been in or have and want to go back. I miss skinny clothes!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Cunning_Pam
on 12/16/13 4:12 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm in the "anxious AND excited" camp as well. Having surgery the day after tomorrow, and I'm STILL asking myself if it's really going to be worth it, even though I know full well that it will be. I envy you being able to get this surgery so young; as someone who has been overweight her entire life (I was put on amphetamine "diet pills" at age 11!) and is now 53, I am sure I will only regret not getting it done sooner. Still, everyone once in a while I get a minor panic attack, break into tears at the least provocation, etc. I think for some people it's just how it is, and only getting past the upcoming dreaded situation will help. Well, that and my good friend Ms. Benzo Diazepines. 

Good luck to you! You have a lot on your plate, but just keep breathing and telling yourself that you're a strong, confident woman, and you CAN do this!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone