Vitamins

browneyes65
on 12/12/13 7:09 am - IN

I'm going to have surgery Jan 8 and I want to buy my vitamins but I'm confused. Can you tell me where is the best place to buy them. When I went to the meeting to listen about the surgery they did say I can get some from Family Dollar and Walmart. I know they said Flintstones as the multivitamin. I'm going to St Vincents Hospital and my Dr is Inman.

poet_kelly
on 12/12/13 7:24 am - OH

I'm sorry to hear they suggested Flintstones for a multi.  The ASBMS specifically says to use an ADULT multi with minerals like selenium, which Flintstones does not have.  You might want to ask they they disagree with the ASMBS on that.

I use the multi from Family Dollar, but it's an adult  multi equivalent to Centrum.  It does meet the ASMBS guidelines.  I pay $4 for a bottle.

You can use generic calcium citrate (make sure it's not carbonate) from any store that carries it.  Most places that sell vitamins do.  I never find calcium citrate at the Family Dollar by me, though.  But Kroger frequently has it on sale, buy one bottle for about $9, get one free.

If you plan to use sublingual B12, you can get that most places that have vitamins, including Walmart.  If you want to use the prescription  nasal spray or shots, you can fill that prescription at any pharmacy.

I like Sundown Perfect Iron, which is carbonyl iron.  I've found it at Meijer and Rite Aid.  But I often get it cheaper from drugstore.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 12/12/13 9:19 am - IN

Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help, can you tell me what are the mg on the vitamins you take ? is this usually all we take in vitamins after surgery.

poet_kelly
on 12/12/13 9:39 am - OH

That's all the ASMBS says you need to take unless your labs show you need something else.  Most people do end up needing D3.

My multi has 100% of the RDA of most things.

My calcium, depending on what kind I take, has 500 or 630 mg per dose.

I take 300 mg iron a day (carbonyl iron) but most people don't need that much.  The ASMBS recommends 54 to 63 mg elemental iron for menstruating women and 36 mg a day for everyone else.  I take 2000 mg vitamin C (generic, wherever I find it cheap) with my iron to help with absorption.

I do 1000 mcg B12 injections every other week.  Some people just need them once a month.  If you use a sublingual, the ASMBS recommends 500 mcg a day.  Or if you use the nasal spray, the recommend 1000 mcg once a week.

I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week, 25,000 IU vitamin A three times a week, and 50 mg zinc twice a week based on my labs.  I buy all those from vitalady.com.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

snoopygirl1230
on 12/12/13 7:29 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

My nutritionist said Flintstones Complete which is a chewable adult vitamin.  I tried Centrum liquid and couldnt stand the smell or taste same with GNC. I cannot take pills unless I want to taste vitamins all day so I tried several and ended up doing the Flintstones Complete (also has extra D which I needed) since it was chewable and small and easy to get down.

I take a generic Calcuim Citrate and B12 drops. The calcium is huge so it takes a bit to chew it all up and get it down. I do it in pieces.

poet_kelly
on 12/12/13 8:37 pm - OH

Flintstones Complete are missing some of the things the ASMBS says we need, like selenium.  The reason it's such a small vitamin is because it doesn't have all the nutrients in it an adult vitamins, like Centrum, has.

Most Active
Recent Topics