Benadryl ???

Bibi723
on 12/13/13 11:19 am - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

I am 3 weeks out.RNY  

I have been having terrible allergy all day and just got home to late to call Dr. I read all of my papers from hospital and classes  and there is no mention of it on the list of no no meds or any other for that matter . Is it ok for us to take Benadryl ?? I know that it has to be liquid just don't know if we can take it . 

thanks in advance 

Bibi

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BibiWLSDiary/

Mimoosmom
on 12/13/13 11:42 am
RNY on 12/04/13

My surgeon prescribed me liquid Zyrtec. 

Lizzie S.
on 12/13/13 11:42 am

Benadryl is an antihistamine and should be fine, jus****ch that it is plain benadryl.   If your plan allows pills at 3 weeks out, it would seem that tablets should be ok unless you prefer liquid.

Hope you are feeling better soon. 

Sandy in OR

poet_kelly
on 12/13/13 11:46 am - OH

There is nothing about having RNY that makes us unable to take it.  If you could take it before, it should be fine now.  Of course, you should check with your doctor if you are not sure about what is and is not safe for you to take.

There is no reason we must take liquid Benadryl, either, just because we had RNY.  Of course, if there is some reason you can't take pills, then you should take the Benadryl in liquid form, as well.  But RNY patients are able to take Benadryl and other meds in pill form.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bibi723
on 12/13/13 11:56 am - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

Thank you for your quick response. I was told to do liquid or crush if in pill form for the 1st month. I have very detailed list of meds to not take. I just wanted to be sure. I got a call back from the answering service and the dr on call gave me the go ahead. Thank God for vets on this page 

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BibiWLSDiary/

Katie K.
on 12/14/13 8:57 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I was taking tablets and capsules in the hospital as soon as I passed the swallow test.
danslillady
on 12/13/13 9:06 pm

I was given Benadryl in the hospital to help with the morphine itchiness! I also started taking whole pills the day after surgery. 

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

knilsson66
on 12/14/13 12:42 am - Goleta, CA

I've been using Benadryl (pills) without issue since about 3 weeks out.  

Kim

HW  372 |  SW 338  |  RNY 8/28/2013 

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/13 5:46 am

They gave me Benadryl in the hospital.The pain meds made me itch. Just remember your body has changed a bit and you may feel more tired than before when you took it.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views