Has anyone tried this?

bosslady1
on 1/11/14 7:16 am - SC

Bolthouse farms chocolate protein plus with 30 grams of protein and 210 calories. It has  26 grams of sugar is that to much?

Caroline K.
on 1/11/14 7:21 am

I think so. I had my post-op nutrition class a few weeks ago, and their way to remember was "8 is enough", as in 8 grams or less per serving. You could probably go a *few* grams more, but I think I've seen some posts before that said much more, and you're in danger of dumping. (Someone please correct me if I'm remembering wrong.) Do you have guidelines from your surgeon's office?

TopherCarter
on 1/11/14 7:23 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

I am no nutritionist, but for myself, I would say that it is way too much.  Particularly when there are other proteins out there with just as much protein, but with no sugar, no carbs and far less calories.  (i.e. - Syntrax Nectar). 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/11/14 7:34 am, edited 1/11/14 7:34 am - OH

That is probably way too much!  I don't dump easily at all (I can eat about 1/2 cup of regular full fat, full sugar ice cream without dumping) and that would probably make even me dump!  

Most surgeons tell people to limit their sugar intake to single digits at first, and even half a serving of that would still be much more than that.

Lora

(edited to add clarification: in items like this, you have no way of knowing how much of that sugar is from lactose if it has milk in it, but to be safe you have to assume it is ALL added sugar if you want of be sure you don't get sick.)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Angela B.
on 1/11/14 7:46 am

I bought the Bolthouse Mango Protein one early out and forgot to look at the sugar content. I had one tiny sip and realized I made a mistake because of how sweet it was. Had to dump the rest 

HW: 273 SW: 255 CW: 134.4 GW: 120       RNY 11/4/2013 

gtrdyfor50
on 1/11/14 7:49 am
RNY on 10/08/13
What did your nutritionist teach you about label reading and grams of sugar? Other than dairy products, I limit mine to 3 grams right now.

poet_kelly
on 1/11/14 8:25 am - OH

That's too much sugar for me.  I try not to go over 15 grams, but I prefer a protein shake with no sugar or no more than a couple grams.  Do you eat things with that much sugar?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bosslady1
on 1/11/14 9:19 am - SC
No. The most is 6 grams of sugar
bosslady1
on 1/11/14 9:24 am - SC
I saw the 30 grams of protein in was excited when I got home n I read the label that's when I notice the 26 grams of sugar. I haven't drink it but was afraid of dumping. Never dumped before n I'm just 5 months out.
PetHairMagnet
on 1/11/14 10:10 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM Pacific Time, bosslady1 wrote:

Bolthouse farms chocolate protein plus with 30 grams of protein and 210 calories. It has  26 grams of sugar is that to much?

Oh my heavens--YES! That is nothing I would want to consume!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views