Sodas after surgery...UGH

gtrdyfor50
on 1/14/14 3:23 am
RNY on 10/08/13
*clutching my pearls!*

lovedbymany09
on 1/14/14 4:30 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Hummmm....that might was the issue. The diet soda was in a can and the regular was from a cup someone had from McDonalds. I was told never to do any sodas for the rest of my life. 

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/14 5:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On January 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM Pacific Time, lovedbymany09 wrote:

Hummmm....that might was the issue. The diet soda was in a can and the regular was from a cup someone had from McDonalds. I was told never to do any sodas for the rest of my life. 

There are lots of threads here about the soda issue. The myth that carbonation can stretch your pouch has been thoroughly debunked. And the reasons for not drinking sugary drinks should be obvious to everyone, as I'm sure it is to you.

If carbonation bothers you, . . . then, stop it. Many programs say no soda ever, some say none for six months, or a year, or something. Mine actually said diet was ok, if you let it go flat. Mine isn't completely flat, but much less fizzy.

There are many vets, all of whom I respect enormously, that stay away from soda entirely, and recommend others do the same. The reasons vary, and are sometimes vague. But there IS correlation between long term regain and soda drinking. Whether it is cause and effect is also not clear, as no studies have examined the issue closely. But that's enough for many to abstain.

I don't call any food or drink bad. If it makes you ill, it's really foolish though. Otherwise, what's most important is the big picture. If you are healthy, getting all your nutrients, and are happy with your weight, have a soda, or cookie, or what have you. Just accept the consequences if there are any.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 5:16 am - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chaly
on 1/14/14 5:11 am
RNY on 11/05/13

LOL...the straw!

PetHairMagnet
on 1/14/14 3:39 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Pacific Time, lovedbymany09 wrote:

So today, I fell to temptation by having a 1/2 cup of Coke soda. I'm 7 months out and I didn't get sick or anything. I wish I would have because I don't won't to go back to any bad habits. My surgeon and nutritionist are against sodas and told me I could never have them again. I just feel bad and needed to talk to folks who understand me more with life after weight loss surgery.

So here is the thing.

You are an adult. You can make the choices you want to make and being told you can never have something again is a bit extreme in my opinion. You have free will and can do what you like, but the thing that surprises me is that you thought you might dump on it and still drank it. That is playing with fire, IMO. So I would wonder why it is that you chose to do something that might have resulted in a MISERABLE 6-8 hours for you. Diet soda would have given you the taste and carbonation, so the choice to go 'full sugar' is surprising to me and would cause me to want to call a therapist to work through the underlying feelings/emotions. 

I am glad that you did not get sick, but hope you'll not play with fire in the future. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

lovedbymany09
on 1/14/14 4:35 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

So NO to the therapist. A therapist is needed when it becomes a habit sweetheart. I'm 7 months out and have done very well at eating correctly. Gesssh I wish would have talked to my mom who is 10 years. Thanks for your comment though...

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

Mary Gee
on 1/14/14 3:46 am

Just speaking from what I've read here, as I haven't had surgery yet - but I'm reading everything I can to learn as much as I can.  

It seems once you're out about 6 months or so and eating "real food", people tend to start eating their old-time favorites.  They want to feel normal.  If you keep your intake under control (don't over-eat, and only do it "on occasion") you'll continue to lose - but maybe at a slower rate.  Trouble comes when you do it every day.  

So, no beating you up; no talk about failure.  Just be careful and keep it under control.  

Wishing you continued success.

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

lovedbymany09
on 1/14/14 4:40 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Thanks for the kind words!! I actually no longer eat pies, cakes, candy or nothing sweet. I haven't had a "real Coke" since Feb 2013. When I decided to do my WLS, I promised to never ever indulge in junk again. I have done extremely well. Today I had a weak spot, maybe because I been dealing with alot of deaths in my family..who knows but I'm determine to stick to my plan and not go back to my old habits. Like I stated before, I wished I would have got sick because that way I who never think about sodas but I didn't so that means I going to have to make up in my mind to not drink them even though I didn't get sick (will-power). That's will all make sense once you had the surgery. but I'm one determine person since my surgery!! :-)

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 5:25 am

I am sorry for the loss in your family.I think when we read someone is drinking a regular soda we all worry that bad habits will began again. But it doesn't mean it will.I still crave soda.I haven't had it in almost two years.I was addicted to diet soda I loved the bubbles I loved the burn of it.I know it sounds silly.I am only 3 months out so I am not a expert by any means.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 483 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics