Vitamins

browneyes65
on 1/16/14 4:38 am - IN

It's been 9 days since surgery and I was wondering why it's so hard to swallow pills. I used to have no problem before I could swallow large pills not now, is there a reason ? will it get better ?

blopez579
on 1/16/14 4:43 am, edited 1/16/14 4:43 am
RNY on 09/11/13

It will get better.  I couldn't even drink water like I used to at that time.  I was afraid I would never get a nice, satisfying gulp of water, but I can now, (just not multiple gulps, fast)  and pills are just like they used to be too.

browneyes65
on 1/16/14 8:43 am - IN

how long do you think it takes because it's a job to crush some pills and even little pieces get stuck in my throat, why is that ?

poet_kelly
on 1/16/14 4:44 am - OH

I don't know why.  I didn't have any trouble swallowing pills after surgery.  Is your throat sore from the breathing tube, maybe?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 1/16/14 8:40 am - IN

it was gone when I woke up and my throat feels fine.

RNY on 10/21/13

I had this same problem. I specialize in swallowing disorders and I scoured various research trying to find a connection, but came up empty.

I theorize it may have something to do with the pressure changes in the esophagus. Your stomach can affect your pressure at the lower esophageal sphincter, which alters pressure in the esophagus that affects your upper esophageal sphincter that is connected to your pharynx (bottom of your throat) and that can affect the opening of the upper esophageal sphincter as well as driving pressure in your pharynx. Hence, pills may get stuck more easily.  Again, that is my theory and since I experienced this myself for awhile, it made sense. =)

The good news is...my pill dysphagia resolved itself at about 8 weeks out. My advice it to drink a lot of liquids, preferably warm if you can tolerate them, so the pills will dissolve faster and not stay in contact with your esophageal mucosa too long because it can be very irritating. Another suggestion is when you take your pills, put them in your mouth and tuck your chin down to your chest, then swallow. This creates better driving force and prolonged opening of the upper esophageal sphincter. 

Hope these ideas help you. Hang in there, it will get better. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/16/14 10:14 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Wow, great analysis. Thanks.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

browneyes65
on 1/16/14 12:36 pm - IN

Thanks, I will try it.

RNY on 10/21/13

Hey Browneyes!

I was just wondering if your swallowing issues had improved any. How are things going?

browneyes65
on 1/19/14 12:23 pm - IN

Yes, but I still have some problems but WOW that trick with the warm water and putting your chin down really helped.Today I got lucky and swallowed my pills whole that felt great. I wanted to know can we swallow one pill after the other or do I have to wait in between ? Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics