Two and a half weeks post op and traveling for work

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 7:31 pm - OH

Lots of people go back to work after two weeks.  Some sooner.  And many travel that soon or sooner.  Some people have surgery in Mexico and fly home a week afterward.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SteveWebb
on 1/24/14 10:49 pm - NC

My Surgeon wanted me to go back after two weeks and I told him NO!  I have enough sick leave to take all the time I need.  I understand a lot of people don't, or can't.  I will be taking a month off work.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Qajohn
on 1/25/14 1:05 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I took last week off and went out if my mind with boredom. I'm going  back on a limited  basis next week if for no other reason my sanity. My Dr knows I travel for a living. He told me domestic air travel (3 hrs or less) was ok after two weeks.  He didn't want me taking overseas trips for at least 4 weeks post op. 

The travel and eating out portion of my job scares me the most. I am fortunate in that my company in general and my boss specifically have been very supportive. 

TattooMammaRN
on 1/25/14 4:12 pm

I took a month off work.  I would of taken more if I wasn't transferring.  I only planned for a month.  Take all the time you need!!

JenniPenny
on 1/25/14 2:17 am - MN

For me I was on liquids for the first 3+ weeks. clear at first then all liquids by the second week. Check with your doc as to what you can have.

If it's liquids only at that point, then protein shakes will work. yogurt or other soft foods ar good too. Don't do anything new with the group,

as you don't want to be sick or incapacitated during a meeting. Most restaurants put oil, butter, margerine or other no no's in food and you

don't want to be sick in front of the group. Bring your own foods. Things you've eaten before and know to be ok.

jen 12 yrs post op rny

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/25/14 2:38 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I traveled internationally (well from Belgium to central France via an 8 hour drive) at 2.5 weeks.  I drank plenty of pre-mixed shakes that i could keep in the car, my purse etc.  Cheese sticks, laughing cow cheese wedges which don't need to be kept in the fridge.  I was going to a wedding among other things and the hardest part was keeping hydrated.  But as far as food at restaurants, I ordered off the appetizer list and asked that it be served with the others mains, I had various soups, grilled scallops, grilled scampi (though this could be a problem for you), salmon on a bed of veggies, quiche, and I ordered hot tea or decaf so that I looked as if i was eating/drinking while others filled up.  This is a technique I still use often.  I might sip my tea while the others are having their appetizers and then eat my meal.  Then when they are onto dessert I order a coffee or another tea.  this helps with your water totals too!  But at your stage I'd say gag down the shakes for your protein levels so you don't get shakey and pick carefully from the menu and try to be relaxed.  The more tense you are when eating early out the more likely you are to have an issue.  And I say beware of salads as they can have a lot of oil - here you can't really ask for dressing on the side, it's just not done - and I have only had 2 bad experiences in restaurants and both were with the heavy handed oil.  

Good luck!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

poet_kelly
on 1/25/14 3:25 am - OH

If you have coffee while others have dessert, does that mean you don't wait 30 minutes after eating to drink?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/25/14 4:00 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Of course I wait. I usually order the coffee when the server actuelle serves thé dessert. In Europe we take our time with meals, lunch is a 2 hour affair in a restaurant, so timing is rarely an issue for me. The OP will need to watch for the timing issue of course, that is obvious. I was merely sharing strategies that have worked for me. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

poet_kelly
on 1/25/14 7:50 pm - OH

Ah, OK.  See, that is pretty different than a typical lunch in the US.  Even dinners here don't usually take that long but lunch is usually quick.  I wonder why that is?

Dcgirl
on 1/25/14 9:08 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I was back at work after 7 days and flew six hours from DC to LA after 20 days for a sic day business trip. I was on soft solids (lean protein only). Breakfast was simple, I had a few bites of eggs. At lunch I could get a turkey or chicken sandwich and just eat a bit of the jnside. At dinner I could get some appetizer. Something like seared tuna or shrimp ****tail. I brought protein shakes to supplement my protein and had one each day. I also had some individual cottages cheese containers in a cooler but never are them. It was fine and watching my colleagues all overeat and drink tons of alcohol and then feel like crap in the morning made me realize how happy I was to be sober and not groaning from fullness. You'll do great!! Best of luck!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics