Should my stomach be this sensitive at 20months out?

BeccaM76
on 1/28/14 11:51 am, edited 1/29/14 6:39 am

So, I'm at the maintenance stage of my journey (yay!). I've lost 128 lbs since surgery. My stomach is still super sensitive and I'm wondering if anyone has similar issues. 

I have have a hard time with pork and chicken, it feels like it gets stuck no matter how much I chew and how little my bites are. Fatty foods upset my stomach (I don't have a gallbladder). And I can't tolerate more than about 10-15g of sugar in a food product. I can handle about 1-1.5c of food at a time, depending on what it it's.  

I am totally content to live with these restrictions for the rest of my life if that means that I have a healthy weight/lifestyle.

Other than these issues, I feel great! 

**Edited to add that when I say 1.5c offood, that is if I'm drinking a broth or a very liquidy soup. Or maybe a leafy salad. I cannot eat more than 3/4-1c of a "normal" meal... Such as a few ounces of meat and some veg/fruit. 

poet_kelly
on 1/28/14 7:04 pm - OH

Maybe part of why you feel nauseous is due to eating a bit too much.  1.5 cups sounds like a little more than is usually recommended.  Other than that, I don't think it's a matter of whether your stomach "should" be that sensitive.  It's not that is should be or that it shouldn't be.  It just is.  About 30% of people can't tolerate a lot of sugar.  Many don't do well with a lot of fat, either.  Those things aren't a big deal to me because we really aren't supposed to be eating lots of fat and sugar anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NEPoppy
on 1/28/14 8:23 pm - Hastings, NE

I am 20 mo out as well and if pork or chicken isn't cooked properly (VERY MOIST) then it always gets stuck!!! I try to avoid those foods if I can just because of potential issues. Especially when my hubs and I go out.....nothing like THOSE LOOKS when something gets stuck and you have to run to the bathroom 2 bites into a meal to urp and then have the waitress look at you like you have some eating disorder HAHAHA (GRRR ticks me off every time). I can also only eat 1-2 oz per meal (sometimes 2.5 if I am ravenous and I stretch my meal to 45 min instead of 30).

Poppy

Sassyflamingo
on 1/28/14 10:26 pm
RNY on 06/14/12

I wish my pouch was that sensitive!:)

but seriously though, I still get strong restriction from lean, dense protein, especially chicken. I'm 1 1/2 years out, and I had to excuse myself at work last week with the foamies from some dry chicken. 

karenp8
on 1/29/14 12:43 am - Brighton, IL

I am 17 months out and very sensitivE to sugar and fat as well. I'm fine with it though because it helps me make good food choIces. Dry meat is a no go too! I can only eat about a cup of food at a time.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/29/14 12:44 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM Pacific Time, BeccaM76 wrote:

So, I'm at the maintenance stage of my journey (yay!). I've lost 128 lbs since surgery. My stomach is still super sensitive and I'm wondering if anyone has similar issues. 

I have have a hard time with pork and chicken, it feels like it gets stuck no matter how much I chew and how little my bites are. Fatty foods upset my stomach (I don't have a gallbladder). And I can't tolerate more than about 10-15g of sugar in a food product. I can handle about 1-1.5c of food at a time, depending on what it it's.  And I feel nauseous after eating pretty frequently. 

I am totally content to live with these restrictions for the rest of my life if that means that I have a healthy weight/lifestyle.

Other than these issues, I feel great! 

I do not know how far out you are-but is 1.5 cups of food allowed? My husband has a lifetime cap of 1 cup of food. The exception is salad. He is allowed 2 cups of lettuce (he has to measure any vegetable, fruit, seed, whatever beyond lettuce) and then 3/4 cup of other foods. He'd be sick after eating 1 1/2 cups of food, too. 

Also, for both of us, if the chicken is not MOIST and generally dark meat (which is odd, because pre-op you could not PAY me to eat dark meat chicken) we don't tolerate it well. There are only a few cuts of pork we can handle, but if we buy a ham that is well tolerated. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

BeccaM76
on 1/29/14 6:40 am

Edited my post to clarify food amounts. 

Most Active
Recent Topics