Excess Skin

Rjjay
on 2/6/14 12:27 am - Bluefield, WV

I'm 3 weeks post op and have heard many horror stories concerning excess skin. Since elective plastic surgery is not allowed with my insurance are there any tricks or techniques to minimize this problem

Ocalasam
on 2/6/14 12:50 am
RNY on 12/18/12

There's really no tricks.  It's a tradeoff for loosing a significant amount of weight so quickly.  Everyone is different with how much excess skin they have.  Factors such as how big you are preop and how you carry your weight play a role.  I have almost no loose skin on my stomach.  I could probably wear a bikini.  My thighs don't look great, my arms aren't horrible, but not great. . . my boobs. . .forget it.  I don't plan to have plastics.  I'm going to be 40 this year, I'm married with two small children. . . it isn't a priority for me to look "perfect."  I'm going to look the best I can without any more surgery.

Sarah R.
on 2/6/14 12:58 am

Im 3 years postop and have lost 187 lbs and would like to lose another 35 lbs. Loose skin Ive got oodles on my stomach...Better than the fat that used to fill it. Shape wear, spanx and what not help. Dont worry about it now.

waarce
on 2/6/14 3:16 am - Pasadena, CA

I had a panniculectomy several years ago for the excess skin.  It was a hacked job but, because I have lost a lot of weight, it was fine.  Now that I have gained like a 100 pounds, the lower portion of my abdomen is still skinny and the upper is like a balloon.  If you go through plastic surgery make sure that you don't gain weight because you are going to look hedious like me.  I am now trying to lose all the gained weight so I can look good again and for my health.  Just my two cents.

Rjjay
on 2/6/14 4:03 am - Bluefield, WV

Thank you for the information. I will do my best to keep from gaining any back. My highest wt was 515 my surgical wt was 428. My current wt 3 months out is 410. My goal is 250. I'm 65 years old so I'm anticipating alot of excess skin assuming things go as planned. Since my insurance won't pay for elective plastic surgery I'm gonna try whatever I can to prevent as much as possible

Rjjay
on 2/6/14 4:04 am - Bluefield, WV
Rjjay
on 2/6/14 4:06 am - Bluefield, WV

I'm sorry. It should of read 3 weeks post op and I'm 55 years old

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/6/14 4:23 am, edited 2/6/14 9:28 am - OH

When you are talking about losing THAT much weight, it is not "elective" plastic surgery.  You will likely NEED to have the pannus removed just so you can walk without impairment, and that isn't considered elective. Search your insurance coverage bulletin for "panniculectomy" and there very well may be coverage for that when the amount of skin is significant.  

That won't help with the excess skin on your arms, upper belly, etc, but will help with the lower portion of the belly.

Lora

(edited for autocorrect...)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 2/6/14 9:08 am

"cause you are going to look hedious like me"

-Please dont call yourself such terrible things. You wouldnt talk to a friend like that, would you?  Such negative talk is only detrimental to your mental health and may undermine your weight loss journey. You will stumble, you will fall. But if you talk to about yourself like that, where will your will be when it comes time to pick yourself back up. You are just kicking yoursel while you are down. Trust me, the jerks in the world will do that for you.

So you gained weight and are disproportionate.  Guess what, most overweight people are. For example I am pretty normal on top but have a huge shelf butt and wide hips (I am an extreme pear) but as you lose weight it will even out.

Use your tool, work your plan, exercise, drink your water and maybe do some upper ab work (if that is your trouble spot).  You are a human.  Humans by their nature are imperfect.

Please be kind to yourself and reduce the self-loathing. Think what you could use the mental energy on!!!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics