Fruit?

averybyrd
on 2/7/14 4:24 am

Quick Question: Is fruit allowed on your plan? Was it always, or was it introduced at some point? 

I asked in another thread and was a little surprised at the answers, so I thought I'd ask a wider audience. Just curious!

Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 4:30 am - OH

Yep.  Pureed fruit was allowed when I started pureed foods, which was one week post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cunning_Pam
on 2/7/14 4:32 am, edited 2/7/14 4:34 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Not really, but sort of. I was allowed SF applesauce at an earlier stage, but at this point I'm supposed to be eating proteins, veggies if there's room (usually isn't), and IF I have any room after that I can have a bit of fruit (preferably apples or berries of some sort.) Fruit isn't forbidden, per se, but there are other things I'm supposed to be eating first. Maybe someday I'll have room for it!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

chulbert
on 2/7/14 4:43 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My surgeon's lifestyle meal plan - the "this is how you eat forever" plan - recommends 1-3 servings of fruit daily.

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/14 5:19 am
RNY on 12/16/13

My plan includes three fruit servings per day, and started with the puree phase.  I am holding off on fresh fruit, except bananas, until I am three months out.  I have been enjoying sugar-free applesauce, and canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, and pears (packed in water/juice). 

I continue to be amazed by the variations in plans. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/7/14 5:38 am - OH

Yes!  My plan had us back on soft foods on Day Three post-op (so it was a pretty liberal plan), but we were not allowed pineapple because it is so fibrous and (allegedly) hard to digest for about a month after all other fruits were permitted.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/7/14 5:34 am - OH

I was allowed NSA applesauce and apple juice as soon as I started soft foods on Day Three.  Some easy to digest and lower sugar fruits were added at a couple of weeks out, and all but a few fruits (like pineapple, which is quite hard to digest) were permitted by the time I was 3 months out and cleared for all but a very small handful of foods.  

We were, however, limited to fruits (and veggies, for that matter) that we had room for once we had our protein in for each meal.  My surgeons's rule was "protein first, always".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dcgirl
on 2/7/14 5:45 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am 8 weeks post-op and my plan calls for occasionally throwing some fruit into a high-protein smoothie, but generally steering clear.  Fruit has a lot of sugar and carbs, so I am happy to avoid it.  I have seen great results in only 8 weeks sticking to a low-carb, high protein diet so it works for me :)

averybyrd
on 2/7/14 6:57 am

I think sugar is the reason it's off-limits to me. It's sad, though. I'm happy with the weight I've lost and don't want to cheat, but I would like to add a banana to my smoothie or eat some frozen berries for dessert. 

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 7:48 am - OH

Why don't you talk to your surgeon or dietician or whomever told you fruit was off-limits?  At six months out, I can't imagine why it would need to be avoided completely.  Yes, it has some natural sugar in the form of fructose.   Milk has natural sugar, too.  Is milk and yogurt off-limits on your plan?  I just can't see how putting half a banana in a smoothie now and then would keep you from losing weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.