revision surgery

seneicus
on 2/11/14 9:20 am - cordele, GA

Hello just go a question. I have some new insurance with blue cross blue shield of ga. My policy say it dont cover bariatric surgery. i have bypass on 8/12. i didnt have this insurance then trying to see if they will cover the revision surgery?

poet_kelly
on 2/11/14 9:26 am - OH

A revision of your WLS?  Probably not if they don't cover bariatric surgery.  Why do you need a revision?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seneicus
on 2/11/14 9:29 am - cordele, GA

i dont know if this is what i need i was just asking the question?

molly3613
on 2/11/14 9:28 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

So what is the question.

seneicus
on 2/11/14 9:30 am - cordele, GA

will blue cross cover it

molly3613
on 2/11/14 9:37 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Call them and ask.

poet_kelly
on 2/11/14 9:40 am - OH

There is really no way for us to know what your policy does and does not cover.  You can call the number on your insurance card and ask.  But if they don't cover WLS, then they probably won't cover a revision to another WLS, like a revision to DS.  I guess they might cover a reversal of your RNY, depending on whether or not it was medically necessary.  But calling them directly is the only way you'll know for sure what they cover.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kbinaz
on 2/12/14 8:56 am

If they don't cover bariatric surgery they won't cover a revision.  I think what you might be wondering is if the revision would be covered if it was medically necessary for health reasons.  Is that what you are asking? I'd think that might be a possibility, but the medical necessity would obviouslyhave to be proven.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/12/14 9:27 am - OH

If the policy doesn't cover initial weight loss surgery, it is very likely that the only "revision" they will cover is to have a band removed or have a RNY "reversed" if the is a situation where your health is in great jeopardy if they don't "Un-do" the original surgery.  They aren't going to pay for you to get a different WLS, or help you get one modified just becaus you didnt lose enough (or regained) weight if they won't cover the surgery in the first place.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.