OT - glucosamine and chondroitin?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/15/14 11:23 pm - OH

Yes, the one I did in early March was almost perfect timing.  I was able to take advantage of warming weatehr for walking outside during rehab and was ready for lawn mowing when the time came.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/15/14 2:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On February 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM Pacific Time, Sonja A. wrote:

I took it for about a year but I stopped taking it about a month or so ago because it just doesn't make a difference in my arthritis (I have end stage arthritis in both knees and need a TKR in both knees).  I have noticed no increase in pain since stopping taking them.  My ortho advised me that most people don't benefit from it.  I swallow enough pills so I'm not going to swallow more if they don't help.  

This is exactly my experience as well.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MyLady Heidi
on 2/14/14 9:55 am

We gave them to our dog who was older and had severe arthritis and it did seem to help him walk easier and be able to get up without help.  I consdered trying them for my arthritis but chose to modify my diet to prevent inflammation instead.

The Salty Hag
on 2/14/14 10:06 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I took them some years ago for my arthritic knee. I don't know if it was my imagination or it actually was happening, but while taking them, I felt like my knee had fluid building up in it. That really freaked me out, so I stopped taking it. I tried it 3 different times and felt that same sensation. I took them for 2-3 weeks. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

leisac
on 2/14/14 11:57 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

My osteoarthritis has recently ramped up and I decided yesterday that I would give this a go as it is affecting my ability to exercise.

From what I could see yesterday as I was browsing the shelves and if my memory serves me correctly think the chondroitin can either come from a bovine source or from shark- either way it's an animal so not sure that's too helpful for you. I have also chosen to add in a big dose of krill oil as it seems to also claim to play some role in joint health. Tried to get the biggest doses of both I could find

I'm jealous of the prices you can get your supplements for as mine were way dearer but figure I will try it for a month or 2 and see if it makes a difference. In the interim will also research on-line prices.

Other problem is I have no idea how our re-arranged anatomy affects absorption and efficacy. Suppose time will tell.

Leisa

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/14 12:33 pm - San Antonio, TX

I have RA and OA. My Rheumatologist told me during my visit last week to also take Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my hands. I went by Costco and bought the Kirkland brand, 220 capsules for 21.99. Hopefully by the time I get through the bottle I'll know if it helps. I did get a cortisone shot in my thumbs and it has helped tremendously. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/14/14 12:48 pm - OH

Well, FWIW... My mom's almost 13 year old Scottish Terrier has shown a lot of improvement since he started taking the doggie version (Cpsequin), but I took G&C, in increasing doses, for well over a year (even tried the kind you mix in a drink because they claimed it was absorbed better) and it didn't do a damn thing for the arthritis in my knees or the two fingers that bother me.  That was pre-RNY if it matters.  So, I am personally pretty skeptical.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsVThin
on 2/14/14 11:07 pm - Hesperia, CA

One of my colleagues, a licensed nutritionist suggested that ChondroitonDS is the best supplement on the market.  It is a little expensive, but sold at costco for cheaper than most places.  Studies on that product show that it is very well absorbed.  Lastly, this supplement must be taken for a good amount of time to feel a differrence.  My patients claim they started feeling better 10 days to 2 wks later and yes, it did help people with hip arthritis etc.  

hope that helps!

alaskasusan
on 2/15/14 12:36 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I'm sorry to hear that you have fibro and arthritis, bless your heart! I gave these to my Dad several years ago when he was in his early 70s; he faithfully took them with his morning vitamins and kept doing it until he passed away last year because they were such a huge help to him.  He was a welder/fabricator all his life so did much hard work with his hands; I was very happy to hear how much that it helped him.  His doctors did verify that it was helping too, because he was so much more mobile taking the supplements.  Hope you can get some relief as I sure understand your reluctance as a vegetarian to not try them unless you know whether it'd be worthwhile.

QoftheU
on 2/15/14 7:32 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Man Kelly - that must have been a crappy diagnosis to hear.  As WLS patients it's like we trade certain health problems for new ones.  Of course the argument could be made that our obesity set the stage for all of these post-op issues... but I don't like thinking about that!

Like others, I have bad knees and do the same routine.  Have tried the G&C but noticed no difference.  Of course different bodies absorb things in a better way - or not at all.

Wish I had more encouraging words.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130