A couple questions

allys
on 2/23/14 2:01 am

Cereal and rice are the only two things that guarantee me problems.  Even low sugar cereals.  I think it's something in the texture for me.  Popcorn worked at about a year out for me and still does.  Just be sure to chew chew chew!  And no kernels...  :)

tdbull
on 2/23/14 4:22 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I don't eat cereal of any kind, but I do eat popcorn. I either eat Skinny Pop popcorn and only eat 1/2 serving, which is 2 cups and 78 cal, 5g fat, and 0g sugar, or I micro pop Orville Redenbacher's Smartpop - 1 bag is 100 cal, 2g fat and 0g sugar. I will lightly salt and sometimes use I can't believe it's not butter spray on it. I started eating popcorn around 5 months out, without any problem.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

White Dove
on 2/23/14 6:51 am - Warren, OH

If you want as much protein as an egg, eat an egg.  Cereal will cause carb cravings for most of us, plus most people eat far more than the recommended serving size.  I have not touched it since surgery.  I do eat popcorn sometimes, but did not eat it until I was well in maintenance and well under my goal.

MyLady Heidi
on 2/23/14 8:26 am

I mix some cereals together and add lots on sliced almonds to get something that doesn't make me sick.  I only eat dry cereal, I haven't touched milk since I was a kid.  I buy Aldi's look a like brand of Honey Bunches of Oats, add Kashi high protein cereal and then the almonds and eat it as a late night snack instead of my greek yogurt.  I like all my food with texture, hence the reason I cant drink calories.  I add fruit and nuts to greek yogurt and sometimes dump in my cereal mixture like a granola.  I love crunchy foods.

Jewelsstevens
on 2/24/14 12:22 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I eat Special K Protein Plus cereal occasionally. I eat it with unsweetened almond milk. No problems for me. It is ok on my plan in moderation. I measure mine out with a measuring cup to make sure I do not over serve.

Ocalasam
on 2/24/14 12:35 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Special K makes a high protein cereal that is pretty good.  I only eat it occasionally.  If you are going to eat cereal - I would definitely opt for one of the high calorie options, since they are out there now!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 4:16 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM Pacific Time, Ocalasam wrote:

Special K makes a high protein cereal that is pretty good.  I only eat it occasionally.  If you are going to eat cereal - I would definitely opt for one of the high calorie options, since they are out there now!

I am going to guess she meant high PROTEIN options, not high calorie. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ocalasam
on 2/24/14 10:08 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Lol!  Yes, high protein, not high calorie!

Sherrie P.
on 2/24/14 11:28 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Just like anything - it depends on your plan, personal food trigger problems, whether sugar makes you dump and calorie allotment. 

If I plan a day and want cereal - I eat cereal, but I also make sure it has less than 10 grams of sugar per serving and that it is in my calorie budget. I like the Special K protein cereals or Kashi - but I do admit to adding Splenda.

I love popcorn and have eaten it since about 5 months out.

I agree that oatmeal is yummy too and is easy to sneak unflavored protein in.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 460 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 47 views