Liquid Meds?

helenm71
on 2/23/14 6:38 am

Hi everyone,

Im one year out of Rny surgery and have been crushing my paxil tablets (they are NOT ER) anyway I oculd tell I wasn't getting the full absorbtion as my anxiety has been very high and half way through the next day I started having the "zapping dizzy" feeling you get from withdrawls which usually wont happen unless I haven't taken any for 2 days ( presurgery) well I just switched to liquid paxil , im on day 3 and I feel zappy and dizzy and bad anxiety, what are the odds liquid meds wont absorb either, im really at a loss here as to what to do, I have no sex drive and before surgery and being on paxil I have always had one, and iv become increasingly OCD with worry and anxiety is worse, im afraid of trying a new med becasuse getting off paxil almost requires hospitalization since the side effects are THAT bad, im really nervous , I just thought once I was actually getting enough med in me I would feel better but now im not so sure. ANY help would be so appreciated, I feel really lost as to what to do. thanks Helen RNY @-11-13

poet_kelly
on 2/23/14 6:45 am - OH

You should be able to absorb the tablets, and without even crushing them.  I don't know why you don't seem to be doing so.  I suggest calling your doctor.  Call first thing in the morning, or if you feel it's bad enough, call right now.  There should be a way to reach someone on call.

If you need to come off the paxil, they should be able to reduce your dose slowly without it requiring hospitalization.  I know the withdrawal can be bad if you come off it too fast, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

helenm71
on 2/23/14 6:49 am

Thanks Kelly, I have no clue why I was not absorbing them and why this is happening. iv been on this med ofr 16 years so I am scared to death to come off of it. It has always done a great job of keeping my panic attacks under control. im going to give my new liquid schedule a few more days and see how it goes. Maybe im getting more a real dose now and im getting so side effects from my body thinking I upped the meds. sigh 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/23/14 7:51 am - OH

Many people find that when they have been on SSRIs for an extended period of time, they eventually lose their effectiveness and it is necessary to switch to one with a different chemical composition and physical action.  Three of the drugs this  commonly happens with are Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/23/14 7:43 am - OH

There is nothing about the RNY that would cause issues with absorption of immediate release Paxil.  The manufacturer, however, specifically indicates that even immediate release Paxil should NOT be chewed or crushed, so you may be unwittingly causing the problem with absorption BY crushing it!

Read this (see page 18)

Some people find that they need a higher dose of the liquid version than the pill form.  

Is it your PCP who has prescribed this or a psychiatrist?  If it is your PCP, I would get in to see a psychiatrist ASAP for assistance.  

If you are already seeing a psychiatrist, you need to let him/her know what is happening even with the liquid ASAP so (s)he can start you on something else while you are still taking the Paxil.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JenniPenny
on 2/24/14 6:22 am - MN

My doc says liquids - like water and soup go right through and don't sit long enough to be absorbed. I was using a liquid vitamin and he said I wasn't getting enough or any of it and switched me to a pill form. Find a pill you can take and works for you. Change up doses and types of pills until you get one that works. Your doc can help you with that - ask the pharmacist too they are knowledgable about meds.

Jen 13 yrs post op rNY