Psychiatrist Appointment - Questions

averybyrd
on 2/26/14 6:01 am

In about a week, I'm meeting with a new therapist. I've been feeling like I want to talk about changes in my body and life, about what I see when I look in the mirror, about how to convince myself to stay on track and stick with everything when what I really want is to eat that bag of tortilla chips and then cry about how guilty I feel. 

However, the closer it gets, the more I'm finding myself nervous and unsure. I don't know how to begin a conversation. I don't know what to say or ask or even ask for. I feel like talking with someone regularly will help, but what if I get there and don't know what to say?

poet_kelly
on 2/26/14 6:10 am - OH

Are you seeing a psychiatrist?  Or a therapist of some kind?  Psychiatrists usually don't do "talk therapy."  They are medical doctors and usually just prescribe meds.

Anyway, if you're seeing a new therapist for the first time, maybe it would help to write down some of the stuff you want to talk about.  You can also just say "I'm feeling nervous and unsure and I think talking with someone regularly will help but I don't know where to start."  A good therapist should be able to ask questions to help you figure it out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

averybyrd
on 2/26/14 6:16 am

Yeah. I should have said psychologist, because that's what she actually is. She works with a psychiatrist (who does med appointments once a week or so for patients), but I don't think I'll actually be seeing that person. 

karin602
on 2/26/14 8:10 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Therapists know the first appointment can be a bit nerve wracking and will know how to put you at ease.it does take time to build a good rapport. I wouldn't feel comfortable spilling my deep dark secrets to someone I am meeting with the first time! Relax and get to know each other.

Gwen M.
on 2/27/14 8:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I recently had a first appointment with a therapist and it was really a "see if we click" sort of thing.  She had a questionnaire that was many pages to talk about my mental history and stuff.  It was pretty low-key and we only made it through about half the questionnaire since topics lead to other topics and so forth.  

And we clicked.  So yay!  If we didn't, I'd have worked to find someone else.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)