Panniculectomy questions ??

Waysta
on 3/5/14 1:44 am - TX

Ok......my surgeon has suggested that I have a panniculectomy.   I would like your opinions, thoughts, results, etc.  plus, is this a very painful procedure?   Would you do it again ?   Was it worth it ?      Thanks in advance for the feedback.....

Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/5/14 1:55 am - OH

The incision is HUGE -- hip to hip -- but since it doesn't cut any muscle, the is usually minimal pain.  The drains were the worst part of mine.  It is just skin removal below the belly button, though, so if you have a lot of excess skin above that, or if your abdominal muscles are really stretched out, it is NOT going to look like a tummy tuck.  You will still have the extra skin and whatever above the navel.

Mine hung down quite a bit, so I was VERY glad to get rid of it!  Some people also need a mons lift as well, but the panniculectomy won't get rid of that extra skin, either.

some people's look quite good, especially if the wasn't a lot of skin to remove and if the fat was all gone.  If you still have fat attached, though, it can literally look like the surgeon just hacked off a giant flap of skin!  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

siberiancat
on 3/5/14 2:32 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I had a anchor cut abdominoplasty - not a panniculectomy.  My abdominoplasty was the most difficult surgery I've ever had.  Pain and slow healing and an open wound that took months to heal (but that was a complication that is not usual).  I understand the incision for the panniculectomy isn't quite as involved.

My plastic surgeon wanted me at my goal weight for one year before he would do the procedure.  It depends if you extra skin keeps you from being mobile or you are getting skin infections, etc.

You might want to post your question on the plastic surgery board to generate more answers from people who have had the procedure.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

godzilla
on 3/5/14 3:19 am - Israel
HiJack! You're back! Haven't seen you so much I the Boatds although I usually hang out on the Plastics.
It was you I think that had the scary complications that were also at the belly button? When I had my panni (insurance claimed it was really a TT - and maybe it was or that do to my being short and the way my skin was pulled down, my panni has muscle-tightening) I specifically requested they not do be a belly button as I was worried of a complication. One ps on rotation from Mexico to Israel (he has since stayed) who jokingly said to me "what you want to be Adam and Eve!" Well, guess what? I had dehiscence and my belly button area from the t incision healed with a slough the size of a dime that turned gangrene but was caught early and treated with debridement and WoundVac machine for seven weeks. A rather unusual set of complications especially as I am not a smoker nor do I have diabetes.
On a more positive note: in Israel it seems to be routine to lift the pubis area during a panni/TT surgery.
And I read of many cases on the PS Board of people ehoese insurance would cover the panni and they arranged with the ps to pay the difference to do and have a full TT.
In foote of my complications, I am a very happy with my flatter tummy w/o hanging jelly belly. We trDe scars for excess skin removal. Drains are often in the mons and can be wuite annoying.
I had pain (I think I'm a wimp!) and had to walk hunched over several days. Many talk about constipation from the pain meds if narcotic and stool softened are advised as staining on the toilet will be tiring and painful. Many recommend to up your protein intake before plastic surgery abc for a few weeks after to aid in the healing process.
Mikimi in Israel
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 406 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 396 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 265 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 135 views