Juicing fast not enough protein post op

aidenswings
on 3/3/14 7:56 am

Hello all..I decided to try the new fad of juicing fruit and veggies as a fasting. I figured it has to be very healthy..however in talking to my PCP, it appears as though I need a lot of protein each day which is not found in produce. So here is my plan..juice for breakfast made with carrots celery cucumber apple and lemon..then protein shake at lunch and snack high protein like fruit, small amounts of nuts, etc. plenty of water..no sodas..no fruit juices, limited coffee( just weekend). Gym 2-3 days a week low impact..any opinions from seasoned GB patients? Oh has anyone heard of chia seeds and if so are they found in general grocer stores? Thanks all! 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/3/14 8:46 am

Why are you juicing? I think it is just what you stated-a fad diet.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

rocky513
on 3/3/14 10:56 am, edited 3/3/14 10:57 am - WI

I don't understand the "juicing" craze.  All you get are the calories and no fiber.  As a WLS patient, we are suppose to eat mostly protein and vegetables ... if we have room for them. You said your snack would be "high protein like fruit, small amount of nuts, etc".  Fruit has NO PROTEIN.  It is primarily sugar and will slow your weight loss!  Nuts have some protein yes...but also high in fats.  Having said that. Nuts would be the better choice over fruit.  You might want to do a little research about complex carbs vs. simple carbs... and what constitutes a protein.  If you can't eat enough real food to meet your protein goals, you might want to use a protein powder.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

kbinaz
on 3/3/14 11:14 am

The question of juicing was asked in my pre-op class.  The nutritionist said it just isn't a good choice for RNY patients.  First of all, it's a huge rush of carbs all at once.  We shouldn't do that after surgery - in fact I never eat fruit alone, it's always with protein, and I drink no fruit juice.  Secondly, we need to have protein forward meals, meaning that most of our meals should be protein, because that is the most important nutrient and with our limited appetites we need quality, not quantity. Starting out with protein first insures we get the amount we need for health.  From what I've heard, the nutritional value of juicing is not as 'advertised'.  Just eat good food take your vitamins and get your nutrition that way.  

rocky513
on 3/3/14 11:33 am, edited 3/3/14 11:34 am - WI

I have posted to you in the past about exactly how you should be eating.  If I remember correctly... you are five years out and have regained all your weight back.  You also have realized that it was your own choices that caused the regain.  I really want to help you get this food thing straight.  I am 3 1/2 years out from RNY and I am still 15 pounds below goal.  Here is what a typical day looks like for me.  

Breakfast:  Protein coffee ( with 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder)

Snack:  string cheese

Lunch:    4oz. tuna with a little mayo and pickles or cucumber slices,

or lunch meat and cheese,

sometimes 2 boiled eggs.

Snack:  a hand full of almonds

or a protein bar if I'm out and about.

Supper: 3 or 4 ounces of meat (chicken, fish, beef, pork, etc) veggies

Snack:  1 cup plain greek yogurt with fresh sliced strawberries.

If I'm still hungry later I will have a diet hot cocoa.

I hope this gives you an idea of what your diet should look like.   When you get to your goal, you can add more fruit and carbs to your diet.  Go back to the WLS rules ( no drinking with meals, at least 64 ounces of fluids daily, high protein low carb meals, take your vitamins, get labs drawn regularly) and stay away from fad diets.    

You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/3/14 11:55 am - OH

I think Rocky gave you excellent advice.  Juicing is just another form of a fad diet and is not going to get you where you want to be long term.

Juicing is not a good plan for post-RNY.  With the juicing, you are probably getting too many carbs, are probably not getting enough fiber (and RNYers tend to have problems with constipation because of lack of fiber even when they eat all of the veggies), are drinking calories rather than eating dense proteins (which means you are going to be hungry more quickly), and are not getting enough protein.  All of those things go against the recommended post-op lifetime food/eating plan!

Perhaps your post was just worded incorrectly, but there is no protein whatsoever in fruit (and if it is ok to eat fruit or drink it in the juice, at breakfast, who no fruit juice?)  Even if you have a high protein dinner (you don't mention dinner at all in your proposed plan) and one protein shake, does that get you to the minimum 60g of protein?  Probably not.  If you are attempting to lose weight, you should be getting more protein.

Also, other than the small amounts of nuts, you mention nothing solid to eat.  Most people don't do well on all liquid diets for very long, and even if you eat dinner rather than drink it, you may find yourself craving crunchy, carb-laden snacks just to have something to chew.

If you want to control your weight, forget the fad diets. They didn't work before you had surgery and they aren't going to work now.  Eat the high-protein, low carb, limited portion diet that RNYers are supposed to eat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

The Salty Hag
on 3/3/14 8:02 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Did you NOT read the responses to your 2/21/14 post?

Come on now, go back and read the post you made....

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5216052/5-years-out-an d-something-is-wrong-here/#43811428

I'm only 9 months out, so I will let the vets answer...again. They are some REALLY smart people. Listen to them. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

southernpeachnc
on 3/3/14 9:55 pm

I read your post along with the past posts.  It appears you might be looking for a magic bullet to fix things and as we all discovered there isn't one. We gave up fad diets when we had this surgery. Been there done that, over and over and over.  This takes a commitment to work. Follow known programs that can work.  At this point in time WLS and following the plan is the best recourse for the obese if all else fails. You've had the surgery and I would strongly suggest you rethink going back to your oriiginal WLS plan commitment. I wish the best for you. 

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Nancy B.
on 3/4/14 5:10 am - ND

I'm not a "vet" by any means - only 6 months out from surgery but have had consistent success with the usual high protein, low calorie, lots of water, etc. approach.  There are lots of great menu ideas that are low calorie, high protein, low carb on the daily "what are you eating" posts.  I think eating appropriate food would be much better option for you than juicing.  The gym plan is great - I hope you do that for yourself.  Best of luck! 

White Dove
on 3/4/14 6:15 am - Warren, OH

When my husband was on chemo, he could not stomach the taste or smell of any foods.  I bought a juicer and made him fresh juices for every meal.  He went through the chemo without losing any weight.  The juices actually helped him gain about ten pounds during the three months of chemo.

Most Active
Recent Topics