For those post op. What were your thoughts the days before surgery ??

haibiss
on 3/29/14 2:30 am

My surgery is on Monday 3/21.  I am having a varied amount of emotions ranging  from why am I doing this it could kill me and leave my kids without a dad - wanting it over right now- to how the he$$ am I going to this for the rest of my life.    Any words of wisdom or sharing how you thought just feeling a little alone right now.  

Haibiss. 

The Salty Hag
on 3/29/14 3:24 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I had thoughts similar to yours regarding dying and leaving my kids without a mom. I decided that if even the very small chance of death occurred, at least I would have died trying to improve my life. 

I knew, however, that if I made it through surgery, the rest would fall into place-and it has. I followed my surgeon's orders. I stuck to my food plan ( and still do. ). I did not test out the limits if my pouch, or eat things early out to see if I dumped.

You can do this! If I can do it, anyone can. I'm a weenie, and I've done well. 

Best of luck to you! Will swing a chicken for you on Monday! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Laura in Texas
on 3/29/14 3:30 am

Hurricane Ike was heading into town right before my surgery in 2008. I spent the last few days thinking Holy crap!! They'd better not cancel my surgery because if I have to do this liquid diet again, people will get hurt!!" Thankfully it did distract me so that I was not getting cold feet. And my surgery was not postponed despite the fact that most of our city was without power.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cunning_Pam
on 3/29/14 3:35 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I had a lot of the same feelings. Right up until surgery, I was having nightmares about dying on the operating table. You have to realize that this is your "lizard brain", the part of your subconscious that is afraid of everything. It's a survival mechanism that we developed in order to stay safe. But in this case, it's making you fret without good reason. The overwhelming majority of people come through most surgeries just fine, and WLS is no exception. You just have to keep telling yourself that it will all be ok, because it will be! Whenever you get these worried thoughts, just focus on pushing them away and mentally tell yourself that it will all come out great.

As far as having to do this for the rest of your life, yeah, it can seem overwhelming. Although I'm only about three and a half months out, I can tell you that it really does get much, much easier than you're imagining. Some things are already second nature to me, and I'm working on getting everything else into a routine. Give yourself time, though! In a recent thread many vets said that it took one to two years before life after WLS got to be routine. But it does get there, eventually.

You're going to do great! Remember that the boards are here for you, and post any time you feel the need for some support. You can do this!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

selhard
on 3/29/14 4:26 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

WLS saved me from killing myself with food.  Looking back, the six-month waiting period was very much needed to mentally/physically prepare.  Today, I would say I don't feel food-deprived even in the slightest...in fact, following the NUT advice to eat every three hours makes me feel like I am eating more now than ever before.  ( small, high quality, sustaining, and much more satisfying choices )  An hour ago, I was helping my 24-year-old DD gussy-up for a wedding.  She raided my clothes/shoe closet quipping, "man, it's great having my own mom's closet to steal from."  She had no idea how much that moment meant to me.  I hope she dances a hole in my new high heels and spills wine on my new blouse for I will be dancing in my mind how great life is. 

MichellesJourney
on 3/29/14 4:36 am
RNY on 04/09/14

My surgery is April 9th and I am having the same EXACT thoughts you are.  1 minute I am thinking good thoughts the next minute thinking oh no what did I get into to. I love this website, it's helping me through the tough time.  Thanks all!!!! 

haibiss
on 3/29/14 5:20 am

Thank you all it is nice to know that what am feeling is normal.    I will focus on good thoughts and keep going.   

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/29/14 5:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13

It is totally normal.  I was so scared about dying and leaving my son.  I actually wrote him and my husband a "if the worst happens" letters before I went in.  I don't really know how I got the courage to go through with it -- I think knowing that if I didn't do something, that I was going to die anyhow.  I didn't want my son to ever wonder why I didn't love him enough TO STOP EATING MYSELF INTO A GRAVE.

I also was terrified about the dramatic change in my relationship with food.  Perhaps not everyone has the same experience, and it may not last forever -- but it has been so much easier to make good choices after surgery.  I am taking advantage of this time to learn as much as I can about why and how I got to 344 pounds.  I am very committed to making lasting changes.

Take heart.  Make a list of all the things that weight has been holding you back from.  Think about all the wonderful things you will DO rather than eat!  You can do this!  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grandmaneice
on 3/29/14 7:52 am
RNY on 03/24/14

I too felt the same way.  I was pretty calm, til they wheeled me in the OR and I kissed my husband goodbye.  I started crying, wondering if I would see him again.  On the way to the hospital I told my husband if anything happens to me, please tell our grandson how much I love him and never let him forget me.

It's only been 5 days since my surgery, but I am doing better everyday.  Was able to go to 2 stores and the library with my husband.

will keep you in my prayers.

Kimberly K.
on 3/29/14 9:12 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Hi. I am 7 days post op. I had many of the same feelings you are having now. I prayed a lot about it and then just before, a kind of peace came over me. I have thought, too, about how am I going to do this for the rest of my life.  I must and I will do it and so will you. For yourself, for your kids. I can tell you that I already feel better and am looking forward to a much healthier future. This board is awesome. I read it for months prior to making any comments but it has helped me so much. We are all here for each other.

Kim K.    

Most Active
Recent Topics