Obsessive overheating,... Help me

Hugsmetite
on 3/30/14 7:23 am

Help me someone, I'm addicted to food. No this isn't new, I was addicted before surgery. Seven years out and I'm realizing I have a problem. I think about food all day, eat snacks all day, have an infatuation with Oreos . I was 375 now at 210 lbs my lowest was 195 briefly I find I'm creeping back up and I hate it. I just somehow need a secret to help me say no to food. I'm a boredom eater, food solves all. I can't walk away from a cookie or chocolate. I eat two breakfasts, snacks of granola bars and Oreos, full lunch, more snacks, full dinner, snacks before bed. It never ends. Any help?

southernpeachnc
on 3/30/14 7:51 am

I used to be exactly like you.  The moment I opened my eyes each morning my first thought was of food.  Just like a drug addict 24/7.  I can only tell you I ultimately ended up getting myself in therapy then group therapy for obsessive eaters.  Our homework was working thru Jeanine Roth's workbook for "Feeding the Hungry Heart".  I think that was the name.  When I completed all the tasks in that workbook I somehow never thought of food 24/7. These were not easy tasks.  I had to force myself to do a few of them. It worked for me. I can still have issues but food doesn't enter my mind except at meal times.  I hope you can get a handle on this.  I fully understand the control it has over your life!  

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Hugsmetite
on 3/30/14 7:59 am

Thanks, i will look into that, it looks like she has several books out there about it. I know that the surgery changed nothing in my brain, only in my belly and i know its a feeling sorry for myself thing, but i want to change i just dont know how to not want the stuff anymore.

Hugsmetite
on 3/30/14 8:10 am

Just ordered that book, hope it can help. And it was only 4$ lol

christinamudd
on 3/30/14 7:56 am

As someone formerly with bullemia, the best advice I can give is to seek counseling.  Whether you have a food addiciton problem or use it as a coping mechanism for when your sad, angry, upset, etc.  you obviously cannot cope on your own.  When I had severe bullimia, I went to counseling and found out I was a complete control freak and had recently had ongoing cir****tances I can't control, I think that goes to my weight gain too.  I can control what I eat...you need to figure out the root cause of your problem and get a treatment plan/develop coping skills.  Good luck!  Try to remember all the hard work you put in to get here!  Also, don't buy oreos or any foods you have a problem with and it will not be convenient for you to have constant access to them.  

rockym
on 3/30/14 1:09 pm

I was help by a counselor and RD, both who specialize is eating disorders.  It is a very hard addiction to contend with, but there is hope and a future.  I am very grateful I have many days now with the eating disorder at bay, aka food  monkey off my back.  I hope the same for you.

rockym
on 3/30/14 1:09 pm

I was help by a counselor and RD, both who specialize is eating disorders.  It is a very hard addiction to contend with, but there is hope and a future.  I am very grateful I have many days now with the eating disorder at bay, aka food  monkey off my back.  I hope the same for you.

glady
on 3/30/14 3:48 pm

Even though the general public doesn't food addiction as a real eating disorder, it is. I have been going to therapy and its only thing that helped me. The surgery can't treat the disease. It just helps correct the damage it has done. 

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

PetHairMagnet
on 3/30/14 9:38 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM Pacific Time, Hugsmetite wrote:

Help me someone, I'm addicted to food. No this isn't new, I was addicted before surgery. Seven years out and I'm realizing I have a problem. I think about food all day, eat snacks all day, have an infatuation with Oreos . I was 375 now at 210 lbs my lowest was 195 briefly I find I'm creeping back up and I hate it. I just somehow need a secret to help me say no to food. I'm a boredom eater, food solves all. I can't walk away from a cookie or chocolate. I eat two breakfasts, snacks of granola bars and Oreos, full lunch, more snacks, full dinner, snacks before bed. It never ends. Any help?

There is no secret solution to saying no to food. 

Are you seeing a therapist to work through your problems? Do you keep things in the house you should not be eating? I'm not about to come and say I've got it all in hand, because for me it is one day at a time, but I have done a lot of my work in gaining control of my own life through working with a qualified therapist. I am quite the fan of therapy and think that there is nothing else that replaces it for those who need it. Sort of like you can drink all the hot tea and lemon you want, but if you have bacterial bronchitis you WILL need the medicine of an antibiotic. I just see therapy as the medicine for your head. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Amy W.
on 3/31/14 11:10 pm - Buckeye, AZ
The only person who can help you is YOU.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 68 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views