Calorie Goal?

BigPoppa22
on 4/15/14 7:13 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I am just over three weeks post op. The nutritionist says that I should probably aim for 60-70 grams of protein each day and at least 8 glasses of water. I am starting to get near the 60-70 grams of protein. Right now today with only dinner left I am at 60 with 600 calories. I have been getting in around 45-50 grams of protein and probably 450-600 calories. I understand the protein and water but how many calories should I aim for? I just think that maybe this stall I have been having is due to not getting enough calories and putting my body in starvation mode. Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dee.spunk
on 4/15/14 7:28 am, edited 4/15/14 7:28 am - Sacramento, CA
I didn't have to count calories at all. I just had to focus on getting in dense, lean protein.
But everyone's plan is different and what works for one, May not work for the other. Even now I still don't count calories, though I know I eat about 1000-1200 a day. I just focus on eating good lean protein.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

JJ0609
on 4/15/14 11:17 pm

Dee.***** how far out are you?

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 7:46 am
RNY on 12/18/13

At three weeks out, I was at 400-500 calories a day, I'm pretty sure. I wasn't tracking back then, though, so I can't go back and check. In addition, my NUT never gave me a calorie goal either until about two months out when I pinned her down for it, LOL.

60 grams of protein in a day at three weeks is great, though! You seem to be doing just fine according to your NUT, and following your NUT's and surgeon's plan is what's important. Worry more about the protein and less about the calories would be my advice for now.

I'm in the camp of people who think that "starvation mode" is a myth. If you take in fewer calories than you expend, over time you will lose weight. While your body may become more efficient and slow down the rate it burns calories a bit, if you maintain the calorie deficit you will lose. Think of a graph of your weight loss, though...it will be a stair step, and not a straight line. You will lose for a bit, then your body will adjust and losing will level out. Then, you'll start losing again.

The three week stall is legendary. Don't let it derail you, follow your plan, know that you'll get through it and keep the faith!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

mimiof2wins
on 4/15/14 9:18 am - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

My doctor and nut would not give me a calorie goal just a protein goal. I just went for my 3 month check up and asked about a calorie goal again and he wouldn't give me one.  Just concentrate on getting the protein you need. Everything else will fall into place.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/15/14 9:42 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Starvation mode is an ongoing myth in dieting.  You are stalled because you are at the three week point.  It's normal.  Just type in "3 week stall"in the search box and watch page after page after page after page come up.  Keep doing what you are doing!  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 4/15/14 11:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Ditto for the three week stall. It happens to almost everyone. You will run into other little stalls along the way. Weight loss is not a straight line.

I was a big dude like you. I topped out at 475. For the first 8 months or so I averaged1,040 calories per day. I increased that slowly at nine months, as I got close to my goal weight.

Weigh your food, and log every last bite. I use myfitnesspal to log my food. I still weigh and record everything I eat, and have a calorie goal I stick to. It's the only thing that keeps me on track.

Stick to your plan. Protein first, drink, and walk as much as you can. The weight will com off.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

BigPoppa22
on 4/15/14 1:16 pm
RNY on 03/21/14

I love myfitnesspal. It syncs with the up band by jawbone that I have. Its like a fitbit. 

JJ0609
on 4/15/14 11:23 pm

Everyone has already told you to keep up the good work and the three week stall will pass. Do not worry about calories right now, but if you want to log your intake use a tool like MFP. This will pass! You have nothing to worry about this early on! You will be fine if you follow the plan! Good luck!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Don 1962
on 4/18/14 1:28 am

Big Poppa - come check in with us on the Men's Board!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!!