I CHEATED...& I KNOW NOW I DONT NEED FOOD!!

Ready4Change1219
on 4/27/14 12:11 pm

So ok I know that I need food to survive but NOT to cope. I have been in the process of my two week pre op liquid diet, I have done 1 week officially tomorrow. At first I was terrified that I was going at this "alone" (no tool of surgery, to help within the two weeks). And, of course as soon as they said I needed to start the 2 week pre op, I panicked!!! I did GREAT!!! Until this past Saturday...I was going crazy without being able to get foods I was craving, yesterday I decided to "cheat" I know many people do during this time (I know not all, but the people I spoke too had cheated & some encountered difficulties, like the enlarged liver during surgery), but I truly did not cheat until yesterday, so I got the things I was craving: pb&j, Mcdonald's fish sandwich & fries. And I am happy to say I know I can do this for a life time!!! Everything I wanted (or thought I wanted) was NOT satisfying in the way that I thought it would be!!! I was thinking "OMG! This is going to be AWESOME!!" ****** in my mouth thoughts, AND I didn't want it as much as what I thought, the tastes where "empty", not fulfilling in anyway except that it was a meal. Today I am back on track and happy to report no cheats and not planning on it :) I can do this for me, and I am truly happy and confident with my decision for gastric bypass, 1 more week of pre op dieting. I CAN DO THIS & BE SUCESSFUL!!

TiffanyandCo
on 4/27/14 1:22 pm - Canada

Confession I cheated today :( I'm having a hard time with the liquid diet I'm on optifast and I hate it. I know I have to keep drinking it to shrink my liver and prep for surgery but it's so hard. 

Ready4Change1219
on 4/27/14 10:40 pm, edited 4/27/14 10:44 pm

o i agree, it is very hard! the only reason i did good for a week was i kept thinking: if i cant do this for two weeks how am i going to do it for a lifetime?! Then i cheated and im glad i did. Me eating what i was craving helped me realize i could do it for another week, be ok, and be able to maintain it forever. I guess it helps that im ok with the taste of my opti shakes, But its not our first choice...its for another week (for me at least) then when the week(s) are done, you have a this life changIng surgery, then YOU make your changes to shakes you prefer. its going to take time, but we CAN DO IT!!! Plus making the decision to change our relationship with food is a huge one, why sabatoge ourselves for possible complications while in surgery?? A friend did this, went in & the liver was to fatty/enlarged he messed himself up by sabatoging his own decision for change

basilmk
on 4/28/14 2:25 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I figure that I've had enough Big Macs and fries in my life that I can close my eyes and have a 30 second mental feeding frenzie and then I'm done.

Every time i think of anything that I miss, I have a little mental dinner party and Sometimes I reward myself with a SF Popsicle.

You're right...it's not that satisfying.

I, too, thought I could handle some little grilled chicken nuggets and what a disappointment. I'd rather have the memory of that perfect taste than disappointment of the reality.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Ready4Change1219
on 4/29/14 12:12 am

Thanks for responding, I never thought of doing a mental meal...but your right the memory of the taste was way more satisfying then the actual stuff, in the end I am still happy that I cheated because I know for sure I can do this :) and def have that "I got this" attitude....I go in next Monday for surgery so I am excited now more then before.

Most Active