can Vitamin pills make you vomit

BigPoppa22
on 5/6/14 10:35 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Had my six week post op visit andy B1 is low. So he put me on supplement for it. He prescribed th e B1 and I took it. It tastes awful smells worst and now I threw up. Thinking I am going to have to find a different option. This is the worst I have felt since right after surgery. 

queenbmamafranks
on 5/6/14 10:42 am
RNY on 12/19/13

Hmmmm. I take a b1 supplement. It comes in a capsule form. It doesn't tastes or smell. When I switched from a chewable multivitamin to a swallow pill multivitamin it made my stomach hurt. Bad. I never threw up but it gave me a knot in my stomach so I switched back. I would talk to your surgeon or call the dietician.

best of luck to you!

Bsheldon
on 5/6/14 11:27 am

I have always hated swallowing pills, especially the big vitamin or mineral types! I was thankful that I could find everything I needed to take in a chewable. I tried to switch to the calcium petites, to save the extra calories. I was able to take it once, the next time I just kept gagging on it. I went back to the chewables and will not likely go back.

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/6/14 11:29 am - OH

Sometimes it is helpful to take pills with a lot of water.  That washes the pills out of your pouch and into the intestine where you cannot throw it up (and it is FAR less likely to make you feel sick).  Nothing gets absorbed in the pouch, anyway, so there is no reason not to take several swallows of water to wa**** through.

You can also try a different brand of B1 to see if it has the same effect.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 5/6/14 11:35 am - OH

try a different brand.  A capsule probably won't smell or taste bad.  I'm pretty sure you can also take B1 injections if you prefer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bibo
on 5/6/14 1:19 pm

Some of the vitamins and some of my meds smelled REALLY bad for a while. When i opened the bottles my stomach would turn and I would get so nauseated. I left the vitamins on the counter for a while before I took them. Also sometimes, especially with the multi, it helps to have just a little bit of food in my pouch, because it has niacin in it, which tends to upset my stomach.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/6/14 9:42 pm, edited 5/6/14 9:42 pm

I am 6 years post op and some pills are still no-go. I try to get most if my vitamins in capsules.  I take extra B1 in capsule form and it has no smell at all.. Maybe yours have fillers or any other vitamin in the pill. 

And yes- some pills make me sick, nausea, pain, burping or even throwing up.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

siberiancat
on 5/7/14 8:43 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have a couple supplements that make me gag.  I take them right before bed and I fall asleep before the burping or nausea gets to the point where I vomit.  I had to do the same thing when I took prenatal vitamins years ago when I was pregnant.

Just a thought and worth a try.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery