12 days post-op update, 1 ER visit.

Tony K.
on 7/5/14 8:37 am - WA
RNY on 06/24/14

Hi folks, I'm 12 days post op today.   I am very happy wih my surgery but very tired.  Already I look and feel better in my clothes.  I'm down 22lb from the start of the pre-op diet.  I spend my day sipping water and making 1/2c soup with unjury unflavored protein powder.    My partner made me some home made soup the other day - it was so delicious after all the commercial soup.   

Im getting in 65-80 oz of liquids a day (at 48oz water + soup,SF popsicles, decafe coffee, SF Jello). Protein wise I'm getting 50-70g a day. All in the form of powder added to soup ****asionally SF pudding).  It's a tad low.  I walk the dog about .25 mile/day.  I did do a 1 mile walk one day.   About every second day I am so tired - I just want to sleep most of the day.  

Overall I feeling really happy with my surgery and my recovery.

I did have one major complication.  I take warfrin because I have a history of DVT's and PE's.   6 days after my surgery I was on a Lovenox bridge while I went back on the warfrin.  It was a Sunday afternoon and I was due to get my INR checked the next day.  I started coughing up a little blood.  After a couple of hours of procrastination, my partner took me to the emergency room. By this time I was gurgling up blood and in pain - like in movies when someone gets shot in the stomach.  It was really intense in the ER room.  About 6 people around me shouting orders for different things.  It took a while to get an IV going in my arm, so they put one in my neck (jugular vein I think).    They  gave me 5 units of blood.  I was scared they would have to operate, but my INR was 3.5 so they just reversed my anticoagulants and the bleeding stopped a few hours later.   A day in CCU, and a day in a regular ward then I was right as rain and I came home.    It was a little scary in the ER but now I'm good and back on the road to recovery.

Follow up with surgeon and nutritionist is next week.

snansen
on 7/5/14 9:57 am - Renton, WA

So glad to hear you are okay!  That sounds scary! Take care of yourself and just follow your plan and you will be in great shape!

HW 284; SW 257; GW 135

¿Qué sería de mí si no fuera por tu gracia y tu amor?

life_mirrors_art
on 7/5/14 10:57 am - Canada

Sorry to hear about the complication, Tony, and glad it all worked out well in the end.

I had my surgery one day before you did, and have now lost 9 of the ten pounds I GAINED after surgery (probably IV fluids). You're way ahead on the loss ticker!Being tired every second day seems normal. My dietitian and surgeon appointments are next week too - it will be wonderful to get onto pureed food for some flavour diversity. And I can drive again next week - am really looking forward to that!

Best wishes for your continued smooth recovery!

D66
on 7/6/14 8:04 am

Wow, unbelievable....I'm so glad you had a wonderful partner by your side through this ordeal. I'm certainly glad you are better and at home. I've not had WLS yet, but I'm working towards the goal one day at a time.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

D

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics