Strictures No Pouch

jfardella
on 8/11/14 7:27 am - Canada

I have had surgery 4 yrs ago and for the first year I had 3 strictures that needed to be opened...And since then I have had difficulty feeling my pouch getting full...and I have gained 20pounds since the surgery with most other things remaining consistent food type, activity etc...the weight has been gained mostly within the last year and half, I am assuming the absorption phase has been adapted to by my body so I am absorbing more fat, and calories...what to do Thanks

Karen518
on 8/11/14 8:33 am

Do you measure and track what you eat?  Knowing that not knowing when to top eating is what got me to this place to begin with, I have quit trusting my appetite and have turned to managing my intake by planning and tracking everything I eat.  You can go back to what you were doing when you were losing, but bump up the exercise, because you're right, you are likely absorbing more calories now than right after your surgery.  Go back to your plan and you can get it back under control.  Good luck.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/11/14 5:29 pm - OH

It is likely that the weight gain is a combination of things, including the loss of the caloric malabsorption (which is squally complete by the end of the second year).

If you are like many of us, it is very easy to let the portion sizes creep up and to let too many carbs slip back into your diet. Some people also gain weight because as the pouch naturally gets larger, they continue to eat until they feel completely full rather than eating just until satisfied or until the appropriate amount of food has been consumed.  Many people refer to this distinction as eating until satisfied rather than eating until full.

The best thing to do, if you have not already, is to go back to basics (a protein forward and limited carb diet with lots of liquids between (but never with) meals) and to start measuring portions and tracking your food for a few weeks (or months).  Doing that almost always allows people to see where they have gotten a bit off track.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views