Had my pre-op clearance testing Friday

kayleystar
on 8/10/14 7:55 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Holy moly! I knew there was going to be a few tests, however it ended up being five HOURS of testing! And I am SO glad that portion of this journey is over with. After my testing, I met with the doctor that would clear me to schedule a surgery date. I got good news, and bad news. 

The bad news? I'm not cleared. I still have the pneumonia that I've been fighting for 4 months now. Since I'm able to walk without being out of breath finally, I thought that perhaps it was gone. Unfortunately not. It's getting better, but they are still not happy with how much is left in my lungs. I was told that my doctors made a mistake by not having me admitted to the hospital to treat it via IV, and that if they would have done so, I would have healed up months ago. I have to get another chest xray in one month, and see if there is improvement. 

I was officially diagnosed with high blood pressure (not really a surprise there). However, it's not to the point of needing medication for it, so that's a good thing. Just need to watch my salt intake for now. I also have very high cholesterol. Again, need to watch my cholesterol, and try to get those numbers down. Those things will not prevent me having the surgery, though. 

Lastly, I was told that I'm anemic. My levels are very low. My Vitamin D levels are scary low....like, the lowest that clinic/hospital has seen. It's supposed to be at a 60, and my level? A 6. I have to go on prescription strength Iron pills & Vitamin D to get my levels up before they will clear me for surgery. 

The good news? Once I can get these things done, I'll be cleared for surgery, and the doctor said I'm an excellent patient, due to the low risk factors...no diabetes, no heart problems, etc. 

While I know the surgery is on hold so that I can be the healthiest I can be, and have the most positive experience without major issues, it was a blow, and I had a little bit of a cry-fest in the doctor's office. I felt like WLS was sitting there on a platter, and then just taken away from me. Which is absolutely SILLY, because it'll happen, just not as soon as I had hoped.

karenp8
on 8/10/14 11:45 pm - Brighton, IL

It will happen when the time is right. You really do want those issues cleared up so you don't have to struggle with worse issues after surgery. Praying for your levels to come up and lungs to clear so you can begin your journey!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views