Post Op Pamping Question

iHeartTeas
on 8/11/14 12:15 am

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick question.  

How soon after surgery were you able to get a massage?

I've decided I deserve a little pampering going forward.  I've dedicated my whole life to my family only to neglect myself.  This surgery is step one in doing something for me and I'm not stoping there.  I now see the value and importance of balance and will strive to do more for myself.  I hope everyone here is doing the same.  I feel sometimes it is a trend with those of us who are overweight.  We tend to care for ourselves less than for the ones we love.  We have big hearts and often forget to do things for ourselves.  That stops for me.  Of course I am speaking generally.  Not all of us are the same. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/11/14 12:36 am - OH

For me it was much longer because I had open not lap surgery, but generally, you should be able to get one as soon as you can comfortably lay face down on the table.

I get a massage once a month, and it really helps not only with a physical issue I have with my upper spine and shoulder area, but with relaxation and psychological health as well.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

selhard
on 8/11/14 1:36 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

For the record, my two adult daughters have made it crystal clear they will not remember me as the mom with the big heart.  Instead, I'm afraid my decision to be a full-time, stay-at-home, involved mom will be remembered nothing more than a controlling, overly-strict mom they resented.  Sometimes I have regrets managing a household on my husband's income and using that one income on lessons, braces, sports, kids' cars, tuition, etc. but we were doing what we thought was best so how do you have regrets for that?   Conclusion... we've got to make up for lost time, so bring on those massages!!!

MyLady Heidi
on 8/11/14 3:36 am

I don't think I ever cared for myself less before I had surgery or more now that I have had surgery.  My money used to be spent on making my house beautiful.  Now I spend it on clothes and shoes.  My son still comes first and will until I die.

And I went to a very expensive spa once for a message and all I got was a migraine.  Never again.  Hopefully yours will turn out much better.

iHeartTeas
on 8/11/14 7:02 am

Thanks all for your replies.  I think I'll book a massage as soon as it is safe too post op. Can wait to be on the other side.

lburrell
on 8/11/14 8:51 am

I'm 2 weeks post op today and there is no way I could lie face down on a table. Last night was first night I could lay on my side. It might be a few weeks out before you're ready but it will give you something nice to look forward to. Good luck!

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/11/14 9:29 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

This is only MY opinion, but I would say six weeks.   This is based on my surgeon's recommendation on when to begin more physical activities other than walking.  Laying on your stomach after surgery may not be the most comfortable of positions for some time.

Speaking of massages, I had one this weekend and she beat the hell out of me (in a good way).  I've been having severe pain in my right shoulder blade and she worked me over like a pounded veal filet.  I get them about every three months but should do it more often.  It's Monday and my back is still sore to the touch.  I love it. I think I must be a closeted masochist  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Dianna S.
on 8/11/14 9:48 am

I'm six weeks out and can now lay comfortably on my stomach but even just last week I had to be on my side.  if you really feel you need something sooner go for a hand and foot massage. 

good luck!

RNY on 6/30/14 with Dr Boynton

juluch
on 8/11/14 9:55 am

I have a massage every month and my massage therapist recommended 6 weeks for post op.  It was perfect.  Enjoy!

Serenity329
on 8/11/14 12:04 pm

I am guilty of always putting myself last.  I have committed to treating myself better and putting myself first more.  Regular massages are definately on my list of pampers.  

HW:291 SW: 267 CW: 246/ RNY on 7/8/14

Jessica 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics