Hypoglycemia After Gastric Bypass Surgery

nessa3678
on 8/20/14 6:31 am - LA

I am 4 years post op, revision from lap band to RNY.  I've noticed for the past couple years if I eat certin things I get really sick and almost lethargic.  I get the shakes and break out in a sweat and have to put my head down for about 10-15 minutes.  I finally started doing research and after testing my blood sugar and it was 53 after eating 1/2 cup of ice cream I believe that I am hypoglycemic.  I am going to meet with my doctor tomorrow to discuss.  I was just wondering anyone else out there is experiencing this.  Thanks!

1st goal reached in 6 months!                     
    2nd and final goal to reach by 4/29/11...(10 months post-op)
Karen M.
on 8/20/14 6:38 am - Mississauga, Canada

Since you had RNY, did it occur to you that it might simply be dumping on sugar in ice cream?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Grim_Traveller
on 8/20/14 7:00 am, edited 8/20/14 7:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What you likely have is Reactive Hypoglycemia, which is different from Hypoglycemia. In particular, you need to treat it differently. If you use sugar or fruit juice to raise your blood sugar, you will just trigger the next crash.

There is lots of information on RH, and the good news is, it is 100% controllable by diet.

Edited for spelling.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MickeyDee
on 8/20/14 7:10 am

Definitely RH;  to  counter this reaction, eat some protein with a complex carb.  Some folks like cheese & crackers, others use a high protein content protein bar, still others do peanut butter on apple slices.

It'll take a little experimentation on your part, but it is easily controlled.

jazzycatz
on 8/20/14 7:18 am - Joppa, MD

I am going to go with most of the others and say you should research RH. I have it on occasion. Some have it quite badly. I have to have a good protein/carb mix. Peanut butter crackers. Those PB3 packs out now with the meat/cheese/nuts. Just some nuts and a cheesestick. Things like that work for me.

Sherrie P.
on 8/20/14 12:37 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I have it too.  Reactive hypoglycemia.  I don't eat anything that doesn't involve protein to keep it under control. 

I developed it at about 17 months post op band to RNY revision.

Don't eat carbs alone...

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/14 1:24 pm - OH

I have regular hypoglycemia (as opposed to reactive hypoglycemia, which, as pointed out already, is a different beast).  What you are experiencing is NOT regular hypoglycemia.  

It is either RH or a mild case of dumping from the sugar in the ice cream.  I don't dump easily, but half a cup of regular (full fat, full sugar**** cream would make me dump (in my case, get shaky and nauseous).  I can eat 1/3 cup, but half is too much.  

Either way, it can be controlled by watching what you eat (better combining of carbs and protein or being more restrictive about the amount of sugar).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MyLady Heidi
on 8/20/14 1:37 pm

RH is very common after eating anything with too many carbs not combined with protein.  Ice cream is killer for me, I don't eat it, but the same can happen with a bagel.  All completely controllable.  I just don't understand why you don't already know this at four years out.

nessa3678
on 8/22/14 1:34 am - LA

Thanks everyone!  I went to the docotor and he pretty much said everything you all said.  It can be controlled by jus****ching what I eat.  Stick to complex carb and yes Ice Cream is a big Killer for me!  sucks because I am 7 months pregnant and that's all I want is ice cream!! lol  thank you all for your help.

1st goal reached in 6 months!                     
    2nd and final goal to reach by 4/29/11...(10 months post-op)
MickeyDee
on 8/22/14 5:55 am

May I suggest making some Zero Fat Fage Greek yoghurt with your favorite fruit (strawberries, blueberries, mango, etc.) and a sweetner?  Makes a great substitution for ice cream, and is very high in protein, and gives the "mouth-feel" smoothness you might like about icecream.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 433 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 323 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 323 views