Coming up on 3 years post op

RoyzgIrl
on 8/21/14 4:56 am

So I'm less than a month for being 3 years post op. I've not always felt great about my decision to have RNY. It was not an easy recovery, I could not drink Protein without throwing up. One year to the day after my RNY I had to have a second surgery to remove/fix and partial blockage. After the second surgery I decided that I was so miserable trying to eat what I was told to eat, I was miserable trying to get enough of this vitamin or enough of that protein. It dawned on me that I could choose to eat whatever I wanted. I to this day take into mind the consequences I might get from eating a certain type of food and I decide for myself if I want to deal with those  consequences at that time. Honestly I've eaten Ice Cream, Donuts and Chips, and Crackers etc...all the things we are told to never touch again. Did some of them not sit so well? You bet. Was I ready for that. You bet! Its a day by day call. I still eat whatever I want, but I just eat less, I remember what makes me really sick, and what was worth the mild discomfort. This being said, I am currently 2 pounds below my original goal weight and I feel like I have control over my life, my diet and my weight for the first time in a very long time. RNY is not a life sentence against all things delicious, it is having the fresh start you need to feel in control. 

Christy

"the two most important days of your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why"                    
Healthyjourney
on 8/21/14 6:00 am

I liked reading your story. I understand the frustration that comes along with great finish!  I had RNY almost 4 years ago and am working on a web site to offer inspiration and information to others.

I would really appreciate it if you would share a bit of your story on m site.  http://www.gastric-bypass-journey.com/before-and-after-gastr ic-bypass.html 

Gabriela6
on 8/21/14 12:50 pm

This is a great inspirational story! I just had gastric bypass 8/13/2014 and it gives me hope that all will go well with my journey. Thank you for sharing!!!

pathchic
on 8/21/14 10:24 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I too enjoy food MORE after RNY.  No more fat free cheese, reduced fat whatever (unless I prefer it). I eat so little of it I can go for the "real stuff", and it is delicious.  I can now take a bite of decadence, and move on instead of cleaning my plate and sneaking seconds (or thirds).  My tastes have changed too, my palate has become refined. I was going on and on about how delicious the produce was this year, when a friend pointed out that it really wasn't any different than usual and that perhaps it was ME that changed.  We had a good laugh over that one.

Kathyjs
on 8/21/14 10:45 pm

Great post. I also feel I can have. ' the best' as I eat so little of it. Life is different post op but I feel it's pretty awesome

Sarahakers11
on 8/21/14 10:47 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I also find I relaly enjoy cooking and eating better things.  I dont eat much so when I do I make sure its worth eating.  I take the time to cook amazing food.  I no longer worry that I cant order an entree I want because its too big and it wont keep. I order and dont feel bad about "wasting" the part that wont keep!  I will make choices and sometimes eat what I should not but not much and I can easily walk away.  I always eat protein first and I enjoy activities I never have before.  Eating is not a staple activity in my life. I do it ..I enjoy it..but I only think about it while I'm cooking or eating...or planning if I'm at the store...ITs not my life!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

bomoni727
on 8/24/14 11:35 am - MN

As of September 7th I will be 3 years out.  It has been very interesting to say the least.  I have maintained a clothes size of 4-6.  I have run 5k's, which is something I thought I would never be able to do.  I take my vitamins faithfully.  I still don't eat a lot of foods but I probably eat foods that maybe you guys won't touch.  I justify what I eat by saying that I don't eat some of the other stuff.  I do eat crackers but not in excess, I also eat rice but not in excess.  I would have to say right now my weakness is popcorn.  I buy the kind that has low carbs and very low fat.  No chips or anything like that.  I don't eat bread or anything sweet whatsoever.  I could actually stand a little more variety in my lifestyle, but overall I have been doing well without any illnesses to speak of.  I do have to watch out for low blood sugar when I get busy sometimes and don't eat enough.  My labs have been fine.  I don't dump or get ill.  I am very careful not to drink with my meals and wait sufficient time after I eat to drink.  I get in over 100 ounces of fluids a day.  If you guys can recommend or give me some pointers I would be open to that.  I just really try to watch it all, the carbs, fat, sugar.  I just wanted to respond to this post also since we seem to have had surgery around the same time.  Congrats on your excellent progress.

Monica

KattattaK
on 8/24/14 11:58 am

I am not an RnY-er, but I must let you know, your experience could serve as an encouragement to ALL wls patients in general. Thanks for sharing and keeping it REAL 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views