No More Mammal Meat?

Sarahakers11
on 9/8/14 3:40 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

SOOO I recently had my LBL and BA and it turned out great! While recovering though I had a nasty episode of anaphylaxis. I had been off all meds for more than 48 hours at the time and had not eaten anything new. I did have pot roast about 3 hours or so prior. I am waiting for a confirmation from a blood test but my allergist seems to believe it’s probably an allergy to the Alpha-gal sugar present in some mammal meat. This is an allergy that UVA ( I am in VA) recently did a big study on and is making a lot of press in my area due to its rapid incline. They believe it spawns from a bite from a lone star tick that carries a particular bacterium and unlike Lyme does not need to be attached a particular amount of time..just needs to bite you. I have had several tick bites in my life and pulled the most recent lone star off about 3 weeks ago. I also have an acquaintance that has this particular issue. While I hope this isn’t the case I also kind of hope it is because then I will know what to avoid vice the alternative of being scared every time I eat! I carry an epi pen now :/   At least I can still eat poultry and seafood! GAH

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

NYMom222
on 9/8/14 10:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Not living in your area I've never even heard of a lone star tic. Very interesting - always better to know what is going on than have it a mystery. Good luck and congratulations on the weight loss!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views