4 years post op anniversary

sportera
on 10/12/14 11:06 pm - Mandeville, LA

Celebrating my 4th year post op and I can tell you it has been a roller coaster ride!  

Good news is I've lost 90 lbs without really trying to control my diet and being a type 2 diabetic my glucose level is still under control without taking any diabetes control meds since walking out of hospital 4 years ago. 

Bad news is:

1.  Still having problems feeling sick when I eat certain foods such as eggs, gravies, rice dishes, and meat, fish,& poultry. Generally if it is something I loved to eat pre-surgery, I pay a price to eat it now.  

2.  Still have problems with getting meat or poultry "stuck" once in awhile and usually find drinking hot tea helps although generally have to force myself to gag to clear the obstruction. I love BBQ but it hates me.  

3.  I like to have some wine daily along with a little beer or hard liquor once in awhile and generally live with very loose stool and emergency running to the bathroom now and then.  This can and does force me to plan trips to include public rest room stops along the way. 

4.  Some member of this forum used to close every one of his posts with "NEVER TRUST A FART!".  After 4 years I'm pretty good at detecting a fart vs a stool dump BUT...once in awhile SURPRISE!  Have had to toss my drawers in a public rest room trash can on a few occasions. 

5.  After 4 years I continue to fart like crazy 24/7. Good thing I have a very understanding spouse. Never had an excessive "gas" issue pre op. 

6.  I developed ulscers in my esophagus and new stomach last year and now take Protonix daily to prevent recurrence. 

Bottom line is I continue to slowly lose weight and keep diabetes under controlwithou****ching my diet but it comes at the cost of what I've listed above. My choice is to live with the above rather than the alternative of being obese to the point of having a heart attack or other problems caused by diabetes. I know this was long but I figured I'd share my story with those new to the procedure.  And remember...."NEVER TRUST A FART!".

And to be totally honest, I probably cause most of my pain by drinking too much wine and can generally eat anything I want IF I EAT IT SLOOOWLY!

Kate M.
on 10/13/14 12:31 am
RNY on 08/08/14

Thanks for the great information, congrats on your weight loss!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/14 5:03 am

This is probably an example of what not to do ....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dccyr
on 10/13/14 12:32 am

so maybe it's just me, but I am a bit confused.  You were given this great tool to use and it seems to me not much has changed with you.  Drinking every day, not really watching what you eat, and then to boot you complain about it. 

What am I missing? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/14 3:46 am

yea.. thanks for addressing the common sense issue..

I am not sure shiiting my pants or farting all the time would be an option for me..

If he is working - I fell bad for people who work with him...  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/13/14 3:56 am

Yeah, the bathroom and gas issues don't sound at all fun.

OP, you do realize it may appear to new folks that you are signing off on bad behavior with your laissez faire attitude toward post op life?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

sportera
on 10/13/14 5:00 am - Mandeville, LA

Not complaining at all.  As they used to say on an old Dragnet TV series,  "Just reporting the facts mam...".  I did acknowledge in my closing (if you read that far) that I probably cause all my problems. As far as the way I choose to live, that's my choice AND I'm no longer at cardiac or diabetic risk and still losing weight eating and drinking what I choose.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/14 4:13 am

I really don't get your post.. not sure if you complaining  or bragging.. 

Excessive gas and ****ing your pants.. -hm.. not sure what to think about that.. if you work with other people- I really feel badly for your coworkers... 

drinking alcohol daily - sounds like addiction... again - not sure if you proud of it or complaining..

Gwen M.
on 10/13/14 4:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm not surprised you're having all those bowel issues with your non-compliance to a healthy post-op diet!  I definitely wouldn't want to live that way.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chilipepper
on 10/13/14 4:30 am

Yes you are correct. You are personally causing this lifestyle. Did you get counciling prior to surgery?  If you choose to **** your pants or not chew your food properly or run the risk of more ulcers because of your choices, if that is your choice, congratulations you have reached your goal!  

Personally, I wouldn't be that understanding of a spouse 4 yrs post op.  

I do gave a question.  Do you still gave your gallbladder?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views