What's on your menu today, RNYers?

AnnyBananny
on 10/14/14 9:49 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Good morning all. Here's to making it a good one!

I'm excited to report that the scale moved this morning! I'm a pound down after a week of no movement. Obviously this wasn't an actual stall, it was less than 7 days, but it's so hard not to be impatient. But now the question is WHY did the scale move? I had my regular 1000 calorie days followed by a low cal then a very high cal day? I've had several great exercise days in a row? (TMI time) I had a big BM right before I stepped on the scale? Or was my body just ready to move? I'm coming back to 1000 cals today, but think on my actual (7 month) surgeriversary I'll be graduating up to 1100. 

Last but not least, I'm also excited to report that my current 50 Gym Challenge will be completed TONIGHT! When I first started going to the gym I wanted new sneakers but didn't really need them, so I told myself I had to go to the gym 50 times before I could buy them for myself. When I finished that challenge, it was on to the next. I'm pretty self-motivated to hit the gym, but buying myself a little reward every once-in-a-while is nice! I only count when I go to the gym - so my outside workouts, etc don't count. This time my challenge reward will be an overly expensive Gaiam Everything Fits Gym Bag. It has a strap for your mat on the bottom, a compartment for wet bathing suits or sneaks, and tons of space inside. It appears to be perfection and I can't wait for it to arrive!

Have you set up any challenges for yourself? I highly recommend!

Time since surgery: just shy of 7 months

B: L&F Greek yogurt with sliced almonds and Fiber One Original

S: Coffee with half and half, a 1 scoop Chike, almonds and a Babybel

L: 2oz blazing buffalo deli chicken, cottage cheese, fruit cup

S: half a banana with whipped PB

D: Sweet potato shepherd's pie and green beans

S: popcorn (argh, the store was out of Skinnypop so I'm trying Smartfood Delight) and Dole Dippers

I was reading some thread yesterday about sweets and "good" sweets...it got me thinking, I do have something sweet every night - either a Cool Whip FroYo and these Dippers or maybe a Chocolite product. For me it hasn't seemed to be a slippery slope, it actually helps me stay on track. I plan this 60ish calories into my day and knowing that later on I'm going to get a dessert helps keep me in check throughout the day. Don't know if this is a good or bad strategy, but for now it's working for me!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

AZPatty
on 10/14/14 11:14 pm
RNY on 02/25/14

Good Morning Everyone!  Anny, I was reading the same thing last night.  I think sweets can and will be a slippery slope for me.  I don't want to have them daily but I would like to know that I can incorporate them sometimes.  It really got me to thinking.  I am not so worried about controlling the one portion but then does it make me want more of something else?  I know that I am very carb sensitive--I have PCOS. 

Ran 3.6 miles this morning.

B:  premier protein, tea, WW string cheese

S:  Carmel Apple Greek Yogurt

L:  Indian Summer Chili

D:  Tilapia

S:  popcorn, laughing cow and pepper crisps

Totals:  909 Calories,  96 protein, 68 carbs

AngryViking
on 10/15/14 12:43 am
RNY on 07/17/14

Patty, tell me more about this Indian Summer Chili...

AZPatty
on 10/15/14 1:21 am
RNY on 02/25/14

It is a Rachel Ray recipe. It really is just a turkey chili. I changed it up a bit--to save calories and carbs. I am at work so I don't have the recipe here. 

karenp8
on 10/14/14 11:21 pm - Brighton, IL

Did you ever imagine you would go to the gym that much? How life changes! As far as the sweets go,if it works for you do it. If things change you can always drop them. Some things I can do in moderation like whole grain crackers  but sweets are not one of them,even somewhat healthy ones. I had a good day yesterday and drove up to my son's college to hear President Jimmy Carter. He was a very humble man and a great speaker. As I was walking to my car,barricades were moved and two state police cars and 2 black suburbans pulled out. On my side in the first suburban was President Carter who waved. I waved back. I told my husband later that I was pretty sure that was the closest I would ever be to a president. Chilly and rainy today here but hoping to get a walk in with Lily here in a minute. After that I will also do level 3 on 30 day shred. On track with fluids and vitamins. Here's my food plan for today: B1/2 c steel cut oats with nuts and half a banana with peanut butter L 31/2 oz deli turkey and cheese and 1/2 c Greek yogurt S whole grain crackers with peanut butter D crab cakes and green beans S Greek yogurt. Hope everyone has a good day!

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/14 12:25 am

Good Morning all.

Anny Congratulations on getting the new gym bag.You should be proud for putting yourself out there going to the gym.It can be a scary place for some

.I was part of that thread yesterday about desserts.I think in my family when we had dessert it was a pig fest.It was all or nothing.It was that way with all junk food also. So myself I know I can not have things in the house that trigger me.Like skinny pop or any type of snacky items.I feel I am not in control.Some of my old habits come creeping back up.Like lying saying I can eat this because I have so many calories left.If I go to a party I will take an item that I have been wanting for a while and have some so I know it won't be coming back home with me.

I think if something works for you than you should allow yourself totally. I think it is great it works for you. I do always have yogurt in the house and sugar-free pudding.I know I don't love those two things I like them so I am okay.I do allow myself a treat once in a while. I put them in my menu for the day so it is there I can have it.So I am not justifying something later.It was already planned.I do like the Dole dippers I put them in my garage fridge.That way I am not too tempted on eating them too often.It means I have to get off my lazy butt and go outside get them.

B:Power Crunch bar not feeling like eating this morning I guess a little lazy also

L:Steak with salad

D:Chicken with broccoli 

S:yogurt

Vitamins are in for the first round water is making its way down.Still healing from hernia surgery so I think going up and down the steps a few more times will be good.

Enjoy the day.

AngryViking
on 10/15/14 12:42 am, edited 10/15/14 12:50 am
RNY on 07/17/14

Anny, please post a picture of the gym bag when it arrives.  It sounds pretty awesome.  I am NOT self-motivated to work out at all, regardless of location, so I need to set little goals for myself.  My next mini-goal is a FitBit or Jawbone when my weight loss reaches 75 lbs.

B:  coffee and Yoplait 100 in tropical fruit with some All Bran.  This is my new favorite yogurt flavor.  I find some flavors can get "heavy" or something as I'm eating and I can't finish the container.  Not this one; highly recommend!

L:  Lunchables ham and cheddar w/crackers.  Don't judge.  LOL

D:  Turkey bacon and a whole wheat pumpkin pancake (skinnytaste recipe)

S:  String cheese and turkey pepperoni

TOTALS:  Cals:  822   Protein:  50  Carbs:  64  Fat:  39

karenp8
on 10/15/14 12:43 am - Brighton, IL

Glad you are feeling better 3 BH! That's a good idea about putting them in the garage freezer so you have to walk to get them. It gives you time to think about if you really need that treat. 

Dcgirl
on 10/15/14 12:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi everyone!  Y'all are totally motivating me...this morning I ran for 12 minutes of 22 and thought of you, Patty!  You did a 5k so maybe I can work up to that too.  Anny, I totally went single white female on you and ordered that bag.  I go to the gym 6x a week and I use a cloth bag I bought at Target.  Like, as in, their grocery bag that costs a dollar!  I feel like I should have a nice gym bag :)  Lord knows I should NOT be spending money on bags when I am wearing a pair of size 14 pants to the office today that I bought in August and wore in September and they are falling off me.  They have no belt loops.  I had them shortened already - I don't think it's worth it to have them taken in :(  So apparently I have to go shopping yet again.  I am excited that I may be a size 12?  But damn it's expensive to wear tailored clothes once lol.  I need to make the trek to Burlington Coat Factory - I found super cute work outfits (and good brands) for such affordable prices!

My menu today has a big TBD because I am in our Virginia office and we have free lunch on Wednesdays.  There is always something I can eat.  For dinner I am meeting a friend back in the city at this phenomenal French restaurant that she is dying to try.  I will get the shrimp and avocado salad.  Sounds healthy, right?  it is other than the beurre blanc delicious sauce on it.  LOL

Time Since Surgery: 10 months TOMORROW (and I am upping my calories in MFP to 1,200)

B: Chike.  Coffee with vanilla creamer.

S: Falafel flavored crunchy chickpeas.  Yum.

L: TBD

S: My new obsession, Light & Fit Greek yogurt with a tbsp of sliced almonds and 1/2 tbsp of chia seeds

D: Shrimp and avocado salad with beurre blanc sauce.  Must avoid the frites.  Must avoid the frites.  Must avoid the frites.  [my friend I am going with is MO and will surely get the steak and frites]

Exercise: 22 minutes treadmill (12 mins run, 10 mins walk - who am I?!) and 25 minutes personal training

Totals without lunch are 940 calories, 68 protein, 75 carbs.  Oops those numbers are not good.  Lunch better be some deli meat or something!  I have been so hungry this week - might be all of the exercise but nothing seems to fill me.

Re: sweets, I have really not had any since surgery.  I consider my greek yogurt to be like a sweet.  I did have cake at my brother's wedding and no dumping so I know my body can tolerate them which makes me stay far, far away lol.  

Have a great day, everyone!  Em

AZPatty
on 10/15/14 1:17 am
RNY on 02/25/14

You are doing great with the running!  Next step sign up for a 5k in a couple of months. I started with the couch to 5k program and then figured out when I would finish that and signed up for a run. That kept me motivated to keep doing it knowing I had my run coming up. Now I just keep running because it is my quick exercise 5 days a week that I do first thing in the morning. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views