3 days post op - don't feel "different"

Susanb2117
on 10/17/14 5:22 am

I cannot believe I am 3 days post op.  It seems like it all went so fast.  One minute I was struggling with my decision and the next minute I am waking up in the recovery room.  I don't know what I expected but I don't feel "different".  I had to do the liquid diet 2 weeks pre op and am back on it now, so it doesn't really feel any different.  Water is going down pretty easy so I am holding back and just doing a few sips at a time so I don't cause any issues.  Did anyone else feel like this?  Does it hit you when you get to the stage of eating real food? 

Jenn S.
on 10/17/14 5:53 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

What are you expecting to feel that you don't ?  For me nothing really happened that made me feel different.  I had a very uneventful recovery.  I got very bored in the full liquid phase, and couldn't wait to have real food and texture again.  Learning my plan and putting into play all the things I learned was effort at first, now it's just normal.  At 4 months out I feel great.  That for sure is different.  For the most part though I feel like a healthier version of myself. In a month you'll be wondering why you ever struggled with this decision.  Good luck to you!

karenp8
on 10/17/14 6:28 am - Brighton, IL

Most people don't have any problems drinking or really feel much different after surgery. You won't have any sense of feeling right at first anyway,and especially not until you get to dense proteins like regular meat. When you are back on regular foods you will be able to tell that you get full quickly,especially if you eat slowly like we should. My early post op period was so easy I questioned whether my doctor had even done surgery,but I went on to lose 145 pounds in about 8 months,so I think he did! Before you know it this will all be routine and you will have a new healthy life too!

Trouble1391011
on 10/17/14 6:32 am

I am almost 3 weeks post op and I don't feel different either.  I am just bored of the food options and ready to get back to regular foods.  My diet pre op was pretty decent so I don't have much to change in the way of what I eat, just now I will be able to eat less.  The only thing I really struggle with is getting in the water.  I wasn't a big drinker before surgery so its a little difficult.

White Dove
on 10/17/14 7:47 am - Warren, OH

I expected to feel a different sized stomach and a difference from the rerouting of my intestines.  I realized I never knew what my stomach felt like before surgery or how my intestines were routed.  All the worrying and anticipation of how different I would feel ended up being for nothing.  The only difference I feel now is that hunger never came back for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Susanb2117
on 10/17/14 8:50 am

Thanks everyone.  I am glad to know I am not missing some big ahah moment :)  I love that someone even said they wondered if he did the surgery, that's what I was thinking, even though I know of course he did!  The true test will be when I can eat a small portion and feel full and hopefully not be hungry.  Looking forward to getting over this next 2 week liquid diet phase and moving on to pureed/soft foods. 

NYMom222
on 10/17/14 1:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I felt the same way, I felt like I could eat anything. The difference came when I went to more solid foods. Much more difficult to get used to.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

dragonlove
on 10/20/14 6:42 am
RNY on 11/20/13

It is great that you don't' have any trouble drinking! My surgeon & Nut told me to sip slowly, but to increase the drinking as I could handle it with no discomfort.  It really didn't take me long at all before I was drinking just as easily as I did before the surgery.  This is awesome as you should be able to get your fluids in easily.  Some people have a lot of trouble in this area, but many, many do not.

I suggest checking with your surgeon to see if you can ramp up your drinking quickly.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)