Nutrition if you throw up?

InTransition
on 10/22/14 2:24 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I'm 6 weeks post-op, on stage 3 of the diet.  Unfortunately in the last week or so, if I don't have a long time to eat, and try to eat anything not on the full liquid diet (so anything I can chew), I am throwing it right back up (if you can call it that!).  It only happens if the meat is not super moist, and if I am rushing (like over my short lunch break).  

So my question is - since this is literally all within the span of a few minutes from eating to throwing up, how do I count that nutritionally?  It all happens so fast, I assume I'm not really absorbing the protein/nutrients at that point, but I'm not sure how quickly that happens!  And I have no idea how to log it in mfp!

Ocalasam
on 10/22/14 2:39 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I would not count it at all if you are throwing it up.  You probably are going to HAVE to find time to eat more slowly, chew more or find a protein source (maybe shakes?) that you can tolerate well without throwing up.  Throwing up after RNY is different. . . when I throw up (especially protein) it's everything I ingested and there's no way I could have absorbed any nutrients from it.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/22/14 11:48 am - OH

You don't count it at all if you throw it up since you can physically only throw it up if it is still in the pouch or the very first couple of inches of the intestine... So you have not had the chance to absorb absorb from it. You don't absorb anything in your pouch; all absorption happens in the intestinal tract.

You really need to learn to eat slowly and chew everything to mush.  Even dry foods will be moistened by your saliva if you chew everything very well.  You also will -- allegedly (according to my surgeon, but I have never seen any medical documentation of this), anyway -- benefit digestively from the saliva and extra chewing.  They help make up for the lack of food sitting in the digestive juices in the stomach.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 439 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views