A list of reasons for surgery

brandito
on 11/3/14 5:40 am, edited 11/3/14 5:58 am

Tomorrow is the beginning of the rest of my life. I will begin my two week liquid diet prior to surgery. I have dotted my i's and crossed my t's and now it's time to do this. But why?  Why am I doing this?  Why can't I "just go on a diet?"  What makes me think I can drink liquids for two weeks but can't stay on a diet? What if I lose "too much weight"?  Why are you doing this right before Thanksgiving?  What about Christmas?  Why not wait until the new year?  I like you the way you are. Why not do the sleeve instead of having your intestines rerouted?  These are some of the comments I'm receiving...questions I've been asked...doubts that have been raised. And how much time off work are you going to need?

I am doing this because I am 40 years old, was diagnosed with diabetes this year, watched my dad die from cancer two weeks after diagnosis, watch my mom struggle to move every day, because my back hurts and my feet kill me after a long day, because I'm horrible about monitoring my blood sugar, because I like big portions, because I hate myself in pictures but love photography, because I have a 12 year old and 9 year old son that need me, because I want to not be so tired all the time, because I went to Six Flags and they had to help me fasten the seatbelt which barely closed, because I want to buy a normal size sweatshirt, because I want people to stop thinking I'm lazy because im overweight, because society is a you-know-what to heavy people, because im tired of being "the fat one" in the group, because I want to wear a cute Halloween costume, because I want to travel, live, love. How can someone come to terms with all of the reasons there are to have a surgery?

Yet I am scared and terrified of the actual surgery, potential pitfalls, future malabsorption, having the willpower to just say no to dinner dates and "just one bite", losing weight and then gaining some back although it seems very natural. To being talked about, looked at, and judged. Everyone will know. Everyone will see that I couldn't "just do it" on my own. Some will say I took the easy way out. I'll probably be too fat, or too thin, or too something for someone. 

But it this is my journey. My crossroads. I have chosen my path and I am ready. I have read, and read, and read hundreds of posts, lots and lots of articles, blogs, websites. I can do this. I will do this. And I'm eternally grateful for a website like this to remind me that I'm not alone. 

Good luck on your journey. I look forward to choosing my path tomorrow. 

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

mschwab
on 11/3/14 5:50 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I am scheduled for surgery on 11/21.  I was at a family gathering last night.  This was the first time we were all together since I told my siblings (I have 5 older brothers) that I was having surgery.  They are all very supportive, but I did get a lot of similar questions.  It did not bother me because I know the questions came from a place of love and caring, and this is new for them.  I have been on this journey for a year, and understand my reasons for choosing this surgery very well.  So I calmly and honestly answered their questions and explained why this was the right path for me.  While they still may have some concerns, they understand my reasons and are there to support me.

Am I nervous or second guessing my decision.  Absolutely not!  I am doing this for me and my future.  Will it be easy?  No, but being obese is not easy either.  I'm up for the challenge.  I welcome the challenge!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

karenp8
on 11/3/14 6:16 am - Brighton, IL

What a well written post! You sound like me when I had my surgery 26 months ago. At age 52 I weighed 265 pounds and had high cholesterol,high triglycerides,uncontrolled high blood pressure and diabetes and back and knee pain every day. I was out of breath going down my base!end steps. Today I am at the bottom end of a normal BMI and walk 5 miles a day for fun. My blood sugars and blood pressure are now normal as are my cholesterol and triglycerides. I am thankful every day for my surgery and you will be too. We are here to cheer you on and dhasre the journey with you. Thanks for sharing!

bee28
on 11/3/14 9:23 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

That was very well said and I agreed with every bit of it!

selhard
on 11/3/14 9:45 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Your thoughts sound all too familiar...guess there's a fair amount of us coming from the same mold.  You get an A+ for knowing how to phrase it well.  Please keep contributing.

AshleyRocco86
on 11/3/14 1:10 pm - IL
RNY on 12/08/14

This is so perfect! Hugs! :)

dccyr
on 11/3/14 7:40 pm

Well you have said it all, and we have all been there done that.  And life is still so much better on the other side.  Plain and simple, it's about your health and rest of your life. woulda, coulda, shoulda, just do it!  Your life, your choice.  It is way better on the other side.  I am happier now, and more contented then ever before.  9 months today and down 95 pounds.  

Yes, it's been hard, and I don't really care what others think. My family and friends have been supportive and even if they weren't I still would have made the decision I made to move forward.

You are so ready for this, more prepared than many.  Enjoy the journey!

Roz4103
on 11/3/14 10:52 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

OMG ... Brandito you hit the nail on the head with this posting!!!   Thank you so much, as other's stated....you put what most of us who are scheduled to have the surgery are thinking, feeling and experiencing.   

You are right about this is my journey and crossroads and I have chosen this path and am ready.... I too, have read;  googled  and re-read all types of articles on WLS.

Good Luck with your journey and God Bless you,

Elizabeth C.
on 11/4/14 2:49 am

You have said all that is in my own mind and has been for ages! How can you state all that without crying, which is my problem. Thank you for putting into words what I cannot say out loud!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views