Update: to Devastated

Roz4103
on 11/17/14 11:22 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Hi Everyone:

First and foremost I would like to take a minute to THANK everyone from the bottom of my heart for their support, uplifting comments and words of wisdom during this difficult time, you will never know how much each and every comment meant to me.

I met with my doctor (Dr. Halmi) on Monday, November 17, 2014 and of course he said he didn't know whether to duck or retreat into his office when he saw me in the event I went into another round of hysterics...LOL!!!  I blamed it on the meds.....

We set down and he showed me photos of my abdominal area.... I was totally shocked...the top of my stomach was totally immersed in adhesions and there was this white plastic looking stuff which he explained was mesh from my last hernia repair that took place in 2008 by another doctor.  This mesh was embedded with adhesions.  Without telling all of my medical history - he went on to explain that in order to perform the RNY or the SLEEVE he would have to begin with the top of the stomach which in my case he could not even get too.  He stated that he spent over an hour trying different routes trying to get to my stomach only to be stopped by more adhesions.  To avoid cutting a major artery or some other vital organ - he felt it was best to stop trying and end the surgery.   He said he would have done the exact same thing if I was a family member.

I asked a lot of the questions that many of you asked of me....what about an open RNY, what if a Gastro doctor tried to remove some of the adhesions, would that help - he was adamant - I would never be able to have any type of WLS; I will have to lose the weight on my own or with the help of a medical nutritionist.   He did tell me that because of the adhesions I have lost some of my stomach and that is why when I eat anything I get full quick and end up with GERD; yes I do have another hernia (he could not repair) but once I lose the excess weight that will go away?.  

His current recommendations was that I continue on the liquid diet and proteins, and add mushies within a week ... basically act as if I did have the RNY; cut out all whites and start walking more in another week - he wants me to lose an additional 50-60 pounds. He has the confidence that I can do this and at this point even as hard as it seems I do too. 

I would love to continue being a part of this forum - I may not comment on the actual surgery - but if I can be an inspiration by offering a word of encouragement as so many did to me - it would mean a lot.   The good news is that I am down a total of 22 pounds since November 1st.

By the way, even though I was still a little emotional through our visit on Monday, I still let him know how much I appreciate his wisdom and caring spirit, I gave him a hug and will see him in a month.

Thank to each and everyone of you for your support and encouragement......ROZ

hollykim
on 11/18/14 12:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

so sorry things turned out this way. Also so glad you hand an honest and ethical surgeon who wouldn't do you harm. Carry on and you will always be welcome here.   GL

iloveravens
on 11/18/14 12:54 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I'm so sorry to hear this.  22 lbs since 11/1 is awesome!  You got this, girl.  We are here for you 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Bubbles314
on 11/18/14 1:16 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Sorry to hear about your adhesions.  I am in no way an expert but I would encourage you to join in "what are you eating today RNYers"  it helps keep me on task with food and you would get great ideas (recipes) to help lose the weight.  Best of luck to you, I know you are dissappointed, please don't give up.  The Dr's idea to go ahead and eat like you had the surgery is a good one.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/18/14 2:46 am

I'm very sorry you were not able to have surgery. I can understand your disappointment.

You are always welcome here, Roz.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

GodsChildII
on 11/18/14 11:21 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

My heart breaks for your disappointment but at the same time I am greatful that you had a doctor who was ethical and did not force a surgery that could have had dire consequences! I truly hope that you remain a part of the forum!

knolmom
on 11/18/14 1:14 pm

I am so very sorry that he could not work out something for you. Please continue posting here and on the Obesity Help Forum that deals with weight loss without surgery.

jenorama
on 11/18/14 2:10 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Well shoot! Props to your doc for being completely straight with you. You can do this. Get yourself a good calorie tracker and cut at least 500 calories a day and stay away from sugary drinks. Keep us updated!

Jen

karin602
on 11/18/14 8:04 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

We all are on a journey. Our paths may be different and we may encounter twists, turns and detours but in the end if we keep going we will meet at the end of the road. Good luck on your way and keep up your good work.

Karin

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 441 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 436 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 332 views